1 Password Anywhere - what alternatives are there?

peter_h
peter_h
Community Member

Hi. I have just discovered that my Dropbox file no longer contains the 1 Password Anywhere html file, and after reading a little further that this feature has now been discontinued.

This is quite a distressing turn of events for me as it was a key part of my emergency planning!

I spend a lot of time travelling so in the event of a lost of my computer and other devices, (theft is always a risk) I always had access to my passwords and travel documents stored in 1 Password by using the web logon feature via dropbox.

Is it possible now to access my data on a computer without 1 Password installed, and if so how? For instance if my (Adult) family members were to need access in the event of my demise (they have access to my dropbox account and 1Password master password), how would they do it?

Thanks in advance

Peter

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

Depends a bit on the situation you are concerned about.

There is the subscription service 1PW for Families, which is what AgileBits currently recommend.

If you are worried about family access after your death, then they could always install the trial version of 1PW (free 30-day trial) and sync with your Dropbox. Don't forget that they would need your Dropbox password as well as the 1PW master password.

For loss while travelling there are methods available, which I won't recommend as they can be insecure. Essentially, carry the 1PW data on a USB stick and you can use 1PW Anywhere with that provided you set the browser to read local files.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter_h,

I'm sorry about the inconveniences that 1PasswordAnywhere not being around anymore might be causing you. In case you haven't seen it, you can read the details about it here: https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/63045/moving-beyond-1passwordanywhere.

The ideal solution is to get a 1Password Families account. Your data would be stored on our servers and you can have access to it on a browser on any computer as long as you have your account key available.

About your other question, danco's solution would work: using 1Password's free trial. However, 1Password Families would also be a better solution for you. You can add a family member as an organiser, and while you'd have your personal information on your personal Vault, on the event of an emergency they'd be able to recover your account, and you'd be able to recover theirs.

You can read everything about 1Password Families here: https://blog.agilebits.com/2016/02/16/introducing-1password-for-families/

Please let us know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else that we can help you with :chuffed:

• peter_h
    peter_h
    Community Member

Thank you both for your responses.
    I did miss the "moving on" of 1PasswordAnywhere. Clearly a Families account would be the most suitable solution, however I will have to overcome my strong objection to the "well there goes another $5.00 per month" syndrome!

I'll chew over the options and no doubt an answer will magically drop into my lap!

Cheers,

Peter

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @peter_h,

1Password Families has some really nice perks and makes your life easier (at least I know it does for me!). You always have the latest version of the app, and not having to set up syncing when I upgraded my phone was amazing! Keep in mind that you can try 1Password Families for one month for free, so you can get a sense of it and whether it's the right choice for you!

If there's anything else that you'd like to know about 1Password and the different ways in which it works please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• peter_h
    peter_h
    Community Member

Many thanks!

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.