Why are my logins showing up twice?

mleithman
mleithman
Community Member

I have 1Password loaded on my Mac and my iPhone. They sync through wifi. Last week I noticed that all of my logins are now showing up twice on both devices.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Wifi
Referrer: forum-search:Why are my logins showing up twice?

Comments

• Hi @miethman,

Do you have more than one vault? If so, can you switch to just one of them (it may be set to show "All Vaults") at the moment. When you do, does it show duplicates then?

If you only have the one vault, please let us know and we can investigate further.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• mleithman
    mleithman
    Community Member

I only have one vault.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mleithman,

That's very strange, I'm afraid I don't know how that would have happened. Can you confirm that every single item in your vault has been duplicated? Or did it happen to many items but not all?

You said you sync between a Mac and an iPhone, using the Wi-Fi sync option. Do you sync 1Password with any other computers or mobile devices? If you check the sync settings in 1Password on your Mac (1Password > Preferences > Sync), is any other sync option enabled?

I don't know for sure if we'll be able to determine how/why your items were duplicated, but the options to get back to just one copy of each item would be to either delete each duplicate, or to restore from the last backup before this happened. Before doing anything, make sure you create a new backup of your current data by opening 1Password and going to File > Backup. After you do that, the Backup preferences should be open - find and select the most recent backup from before the items were duplicated (it should be easy to tell based on the number of items shows) and click the Restore button.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• mleithman
    mleithman
    Community Member

I wifi sync is between 2 Mac's and 1 iPhone. I checked the sync settings and under Vaults it lists "primary" only and next to "Also sync Primary vault with" "None" is selected. Just a note I have recently updated the operating system onone of the Mac's. One is one operating systems 10.11.5 and the other is on 10.10.5. Could this difference cause problems with the syncing?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @mleithman ,

Updating your operating system shouldn't have had an effect on syncing. Unfortunately, as Drew mentions above, it might be difficult to track down the 'why' of this. It sounds like you have everything set up correctly.

Have you tried restoring to a backup as Drew suggested?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@mleithman, just to add to Megan's reply, I noticed you said you use Wi-Fi sync "between 2 Mac's and 1 iPhone". That might actually be the problem: Wi-Fi sync is meant to work between a single Mac and one or more iOS devices.

Although it's possible to sync an iOS device with one Mac, then switch it to sync with the other Mac, we don't recommend it because it requires you to disable & set up Wi-Fi sync again each time you switch. Aside from being inconvenient, the main issue is that each time you disable Wi-Fi sync with one Mac, it removes a bunch of context data which is used to sync your 1Password data. That context data is re-created when you set up Wi-Fi sync with the other Mac, but all your data in 1Password must go through full conflict resolution again (every field of every item in your vault has to be verified in order to determine which data to keep, in case there have been changes). Most of the time it will probably be fine, but there's also a chance you can run into problems - duplicate items is one potential outcome.

With your setup, a better solution may be to sync via Dropbox or sync via iCloud on your Macs and iPhone.

• Gizmo1
    Gizmo1
    Community Member

This exact same thing just happened to me yesterday: duplicate/double data on both my Mac and my iPad after Wi-Fi syncing for the first time. One Mac. One iPad. I will try to revert to the previous/most recent backup to delete the dupes on my Mac, then try to re-sync. Sure hope I have a different outcome 'cause I really don't want to have to use Dropbox or iCloud to sync.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Gizmo1,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble as well.

Do let us know how it goes after you revert and re-sync.

I would say that — generally speaking — cloud syncing is the best option for most folks. Wi-Fi Sync must be done with the two devices connected to the same Wi-Fi network. This means that you need to remember to sync them before you go on an adventure that separates them. Dropbox and iCloud syncing are fully automatic and securely sync your 1Password data anywhere you have Internet access. There's nothing to remember (or forget!), and I definitely consider that a win. Since your data is end-to-end encrypted, all that is stored in the cloud is a blob that is useless to an attacker without your Master Password.

That said, if there is a bug with Wi-Fi Sync, we would like to resolve it! Keep us posted.

Oh, and it doesn't sound like this is the case, but I did want to mention that I've seen some confusion in the past between items in the Logins category and items in the Passwords category. Again, I don't think it sounds like that's playing a role here, but I just wanted to mention on the off chance that it was related in any way to that.

• Gizmo1
    Gizmo1
    Community Member

Hi Khad,

I sent in some diagnostic reports from my Mac and my iPad, so we'll see what they tell us. Also, no confusion between logins and passwords. I hear ya re: iCloud and Dropbox. If Wi-Fi proves unusable, I will definitely consider those options. Thanks!

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@Gizmo1,

Thanks for sending in the Diagnostics Reports. We'll work with you via email until everything is resolved so that we are not duplicating efforts or creating any confusion.

That said, I don't see anything in our inbox from you. (I only have the email address you used to sign up for this forum. So if you emailed us from a different address, that would explain why I didn't see it.)

You should have receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Could you post that Support ID here? It should look something like: XYZ-12345-987

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• Gizmo1
    Gizmo1
    Community Member

Yeah, I have been working with another team member and using a different email addy. I'm cool with working via email. I only posted here because I was poking around in my spare time to see if I could find a solution in the forum when I saw this thread. Since I was having the same problem, I decided to post. My ID # is: QJE-81787-374

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Ah! Totally understandable. :)

It looks like Lars has already been assisting you, so you are in good hands.

ref: QJE-81787-374

• Gizmo1
    Gizmo1
    Community Member

Yep. I'll follow up with him later this evening. I'm at work and don't have my Mac with me. Thx!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.