I am on trial period and have added a few logins to mac 1password and synced ok to IPAD. What's next

HowardPolakoff
HowardPolakoff
Community Member

I think I am on the single password platform for MAC? I only have myself and my wife and we intend to share 1 vault and 1 logon. I absolutely do not understand your concept of fee vs free. My trial period is about 1/2 way through.
1) Usage question. If I go to Amazon via Safari, but do not sign in (i.e., shopping), and then decide to buy (even just a kindle book), I get sign on
request from Amazon for authorization. How do I handle that with 1Password, since I'm already within Amazon?

2) My sync preference is Wi-Fi, from MAC to iPad. If I need to purchase, and purchase 64.95, what have I given up. Please don't tell me
to get back to you if I have ??'s on your response, because as you know, that is impossible...no known way to do that. Your product
would be greatly enhanced with a chat line.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:I am on trial period and have added a few logins and synced ok to iPad; what's next?

Comments

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member

Hi @HowardPolakoff,

I was looking for something on the forum and saw your post - particularly the "1) Usage question". I thought from previous experience that once on a site the 1Password browser extension would stand ready to serve up the login credentials from any page of the site. So I tried it by logging out of Amazon, putting something in the cart and going to check out. Amazon pushed me to a login page as the first step of the check out process and 1Password filled in my credentials allowing me to move on. Did you have a different experience?

I was curious about your question 2) re: purchasing. Will you and your wife be using the same computer to access 1Password? I believe that in order to use the single license for the MAC at the $64.95 you mentioned you would only be able to do one install. If you want to use 1Password for Mac on two to five machines then the 1Password Families license is required, but that includes "Automatic, built-in sync" which I believe is cloud based rather than your preferred Wi-Fi option.

May I ask if the free part of "fee vs free" you mention at the beginning refers to all the "Use on all your devices — for free" feature of 1Password Families? This product is generous and flexible for multiple users, but it does have have a $5 / mo. subscription fee instead of a one-time license fee. Beyond your trial period I don't think there is way to enjoy 1Password on the Mac as freeware.

I hope I have been able to shed some light on the products as a long-time user. I know I would not want to manage my online life without it.
    Margeau

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @HowardPolakoff ,

Thanks so much for reaching out, I'd be happy to help answer your questions here.

I think I am on the single password platform for MAC? I only have myself and my wife and we intend to share 1 vault and 1 logon. I absolutely do not understand your concept of fee vs free.

I'm sorry that you find our licensing a bit complicated. We have made some changes lately, so there are a few different options for purchasing 1Password. Margeau has given you a pretty great response already - did anything in her reply help you out? If you're still unsure about the best way to use 1Password on all of your devices, it would help to have a bit more information. It sounds like you and your wife are content to share your 1Password database (so you do not feel the need, at this time, to have multiple vaults where your personal information is separate and only a few 'family' items are shared between you two.) That's great, but it would also help to know how many computers and devices we are dealing with here.

1) Usage question. If I go to Amazon via Safari, but do not sign in (i.e., shopping), and then decide to buy (even just a kindle book), I get sign on request from Amazon for authorization. How do I handle that with 1Password, since I'm already within Amazon?

When Amazon prompts you to log in, you can simply click on the 1Password extension in your browser and select your Amazon details from the list. You can also use the keyboard shortcut ⌘\ (Command-) to ask 1Password to fill automatically.

2) My sync preference is Wi-Fi, from MAC to iPad.

You can indeed sync from 1Password on your Mac to 1Password on your iPad via Wi-Fi.

If I need to purchase, and purchase 64.95, what have I given up.

I'm not sure I understand your question here. If you decide to use 1Password beyond the length of your trial, you will need to license the app. You can do this either by signing up for a 1Password Families subscription or by purchasing a license for the desktop version of 1Password.

Subscribing through 1Password Families means that you won't need to worry about sync, as it is handled automatically by 1Password. There are a lot of other great benefits as well, which you can read about on the page that I linked to above. If you would prefer to keep syncing via Wi-Fi, then you can simply purchase a standalone license for current version 1Password, which will allow you to control syncing.

Either way, you're not giving anything up, it's just a matter of deciding which option is best for you.

Please don't tell me to get back to you if I have ??'s on your response, because as you know, that is impossible...no known way to do that. Your product would be greatly enhanced with a chat line.

I sincerely apologize if you're feeling a bit frustrated by the forums here. You should get a notification in your email when we reply here so that you will see my answer, and you can reply directly in this thread. If you'd like to continue this conversation via email, please send a message to our team at support@agilebits.com. Unfortunately, we don't have the resources at this time to offer a live chat service, but our team is monitoring the forums (and our email queues) seven days a week to ensure that we answer your questions as quickly as possible.

This discussion has been closed.