How do I alter the way that multiple logins for the same site appear in the 1P Safari Extension

I have several sites that I frequent for work and have multiple logins for these sites. When I click on the 1P extension the sorting of the logins doesn't appear to follow any sorting order I can discern, and I can't find a way to set a priority of that sort.

I have for one site 4 logins which I use to effect different aspects of an application. Up until about 3 weeks ago I only had 3 logins, and when I clicked the 1P extension all 3 became visible in the dropdown. Since adding the 4th login the behavior has changed, now the only login that appears is the most recent one, the remaining logins aren't visible until you click on "Show 3 more logins".

Of the 4 logins I use 1 of them I use every day, the other three I use about once per week. I tried adding an asterisk before the title of the login I want to use most, hoping that it would sort alphabetically but it doesn't.

My question:
1. is there a way to set the sorting of passwords that display in the 1P extension dropdown?
2. is there any way to change the behavior of the extension so that the "Show 3 more logins" doesn't appear unless there are more logins, say 10?

My question is nit-picky but it does cost me a few seconds here and there every day, so if I can get those collective minutes back each week I'd be more productive overall.

Thanks

Pete

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: DropBox
Referrer: forum-search:safari extension login sorting

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016

I have several sites that I frequent for work and have multiple logins for these sites. When I click on the 1P extension the sorting of the logins doesn't appear to follow any sorting order I can discern, and I can't find a way to set a priority of that sort.

@togapete: This is definitely confusing, and something we'd like to improve in a future version, if only so it's more easily understood so we all know what to expect. There are two answers here, depending on your settings:

• By default, exact matches will be shown at the top, with the "Show n more items" option below to display other items that match at least the domain.
    • Alternatively, if you enable "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" in Preferences > Browsers, you'll be offered the 5 best matches (with exact subdomain.domain matches at the top) with the "Show n more items" option to display the rest.

I have for one site 4 logins which I use to effect different aspects of an application. Up until about 3 weeks ago I only had 3 logins, and when I clicked the 1P extension all 3 became visible in the dropdown. Since adding the 4th login the behavior has changed, now the only login that appears is the most recent one, the remaining logins aren't visible until you click on "Show 3 more logins".
    Of the 4 logins I use 1 of them I use every day, the other three I use about once per week. I tried adding an asterisk before the title of the login I want to use most, hoping that it would sort alphabetically but it doesn't.

Without knowing the URLs of each login in question and the one you're visiting in your example it's impossible to say, but definitely check those and see if you need to make some tweaks. I think you'll find that helps. Logins will be listed by URL and then alphabetically if they share the same URL. It sounds like those first 3 logins share the same subdomain.domain as the URL you're at, and those will take precedence unless "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" is enabled.

My question:
    1.is there a way to set the sorting of passwords that display in the 1P extension dropdown?

It sounds like the part of that you're most interested in is the "exact match" part. In both cases, Favorites will be displayed first in each appropriate section, so "starring" an item and enabling "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" will ensure that you'll always see that item at the very top when you're anywhere in its domain.

2.is there any way to change the behavior of the extension so that the "Show 3 more logins" doesn't appear unless there are more logins, say 10?

No. The extension will show up to 5 matching the current URL. Clicking "Show n more items" will display additional logins matching the current URL first and then others which match only the domain.

My question is nit-picky but it does cost me a few seconds here and there every day, so if I can get those collective minutes back each week I'd be more productive overall.

I hear you! Let's not speak of the minutes, hours, and days (months?!) that we'd lose without 1Password! :scream: Any improvements we can make here — even small ones — that can do the most good for the greatest number of people can add up to a LOT! Thanks for bringing this up! :chuffed:

• togapete
    togapete
    Community Member

Hey Brenty,

Thanks for the thorough and rapid response. I took your suggestion and looked at the URLs that were set for logins at the same site and the URL clearly created the odd alphabetical sorting I was experienced,so that solved the 1st issue. I then took you 2nd suggestion and clicked on the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" and that solved the 2nd issue. Now when I click on the specific site I mentioned in my initial question the logins are sorted in a way that is much more appropriate and which will definitely save me time.

I have 2 suggestions coming back to you as a result of your help, which I hope can help you to improve 1P. The first is to add a small hover-over "?" icon on the preferences panel for the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" option that explains what this option is and when it should be used. The second suggestion is to add some kind of help page or brief overview panel in the 1P extension or in the the "Browser" tab of the preferences panel that users can look at when they have specific questions for about extensions.

I love 1P and thank you and the whole team at Agile Bits for making the most transformative piece of software that I've used in 5 years.

Thanks,

Pete

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the thorough and rapid response. I took your suggestion and looked at the URLs that were set for logins at the same site and the URL clearly created the odd alphabetical sorting I was experienced,so that solved the 1st issue. I then took you 2nd suggestion and clicked on the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" and that solved the 2nd issue. Now when I click on the specific site I mentioned in my initial question the logins are sorted in a way that is much more appropriate and which will definitely save me time.

@togapete: You're totally welcome! I'm glad that helped. :chuffed:

I have 2 suggestions coming back to you as a result of your help, which I hope can help you to improve 1P. The first is to add a small hover-over "?" icon on the preferences panel for the "Allow filling on pages that closely match saved websites" option that explains what this option is and when it should be used.

Yike. That's a tall order. We've actually made changes to the wording there many times, but as you can see above, there isn't really a clear, concise way of putting it. We'll keep trying though, and any suggestions are appreciated!

The second suggestion is to add some kind of help page or brief overview panel in the 1P extension or in the the "Browser" tab of the preferences panel that users can look at when they have specific questions for about extensions.

Hmm. I guess in my experience we mainly get questions about site-specific filling issue and connection problems between 1Password and the browser. And unfortunately neither of these have quick answers. There are a lot of sites out there, and plenty of 3rd party software that can interfere with 1Password. So while I'm not sure that's feasible, I'd love to hear what questions you'd have in mind!

I love 1P and thank you and the whole team at Agile Bits for making the most transformative piece of software that I've used in 5 years.

Wow. Thank you so much! That is high praise indeed! We strive to make 1Password meet the great expectations of you and the rest of our awesome customers — and ourselves. We couldn't do what we do without your support! :blush:

• littlebobbytables
    littlebobbytables
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CliffGudgeon,

I believe a number of people would agree with you on expanding the size. I can't promise anything but fingers crossed we can see something like this for those people with a number of matching Login items.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

This discussion has been closed.