After a burglary

Options
Cheeron
Cheeron
Community Member

I recently suffered a burglary in the house we stayed at in holiday abroad. Lost laptop, iPad and phone. So no connection to Internet or one password or Dropbox.
I used a friendly neighbour's computer to get online to go to banks etc to change passwords but then I hit he problem - I was unable to remotely access my 1Password account to help me get into the necessary accounts to change things.
Does anyone have any idea how i could have overcome this?

Comments

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@cheeron I'm sorry to hear that happened to you. I've had a similar experience so I know how upsetting and unsettling it can be.

To answer your question, one option might have been to set up 1Password on that person's device. That's not the easiest thing to accomplish -- it requires downloads, signing in to Dropbox, etc. -- but it was an option.

Another would be to use a service like 1Password Families. It offers access to your data through 1Password.com so you never have to worry about being locked out of your information. In this instance all you would've had to do was make sure you had the information needed to sign on (sign-in address, email address, Account Key, and Master Password) in a safe place. There are many other features besides, but in this particular instance it sounds like the browser access would have been the most important thing available to you.

I know that doesn't help now, but if this were to happen in the future, it might be useful then.

• Cheeron
    Cheeron
    Community Member
    Options

@nmott thank you so much for this swift reply.

Yes I had considered the idea of downloading 1Password and Dropbox and then going in to delet it all afterwards but not only was it cumbersome, the neighbour who was really helpful, doesn't know me and didn't want to let me download anything to her computer.

I just noticed the Families thing on the application a few minutes ago and will check it out as it seems like the perfect solution.

Cheers

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

It's my pleasure!

It makes sense that your neighbor wouldn't want you to download anything to her computer. She's gotta watch out for her security too ;)

Please let us know how you get on with 1Password Families. You'll have a free 30-day trial to give it a shot, and if you have any questions about it at any point, we're available here in the forums and via email to make sure everything works out the way it's supposed to :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.