How do I rename the 1Password.agilekeychain file at work so that it won't conflict with my home file

Options
Teaman
Teaman
Community Member
edited June 2016 in Mac

I have had my home and work 1PW data in separate databases, each on their respective computer (MBP at work, iMac at home). They both have sync'd using separate Dropbox accounts. Therefore in Dropbox the 1PW files there in their respective 1Password directories are both called 1Password.agilekeychain. I decided to create a new vault at home and at work and sync it to the other 1PW data so I can access work and personal data in both places. But with the dropbox files called the same thing it presents a problem in trying to do a Dropbox share of these files to the other location. There will be a name conflict. So a name change of at least one of them seems necessary.

How can this situation be handled?

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @Teaman
    If I understand correctly, you want your 'Home' and your 'Work' databases in the same Dropbox account.
    You can do this by adding a secondary vault to 1Password:

• Go to 1Password and under the 1Password menu (next to the Apple menu), choose "New Vault"
    • Name the vault "Work" or something of your choice.
    • Go to 1Password Settings/Sync; choose the 'Work' vault and set it to sync with your dropbox account.
    • Set each of your Macs to sync with the same Dropbox account – both vaults will be synchronised.

Now when you go to 1Password, you can choose (top left field) to display your Primary vault or your Work vault (or all vaults).
    Each vault will sync to their own respective Dropbox file and there should be no confusion between the two.

I hope this works for you, please explain what is happening and one of the AgileBits staff members will be along soon to help out.
    Cheers,
    Rob

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Teaman,

What Rob suggested is the best approach for you: create a secondary vault so you can sync both of them over with the same Dropbox account. Keep in mind that besides creating a secondary vault you need to also Move all your data there or otherwise everything will be merged on Primary. You can then set each of the two vaults to sync with Dropbox following the steps shown here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#dropbox

Please let us know how this goes for you and if you have any other questions that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• Teaman
    Teaman
    Community Member
    Options

Pilar, You lost me at the 2nd sentence, which was not clear to me what data is moving where. I have a work 1PW on a laptop with it's own dropbox account. At home I have another 1PW on an iMac with a different dropbox account. If both locations have an agilekeychain file in dropbox, how do I share those files on each other's dropbox location? They both have the same file name.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Teaman,

It sounds like you might be trying to share the actual .agilekeychain file with your other Dropbox account - if so, that might cause some problems. Instead, what you need to do is share the folder containing your .agilekeychain sync file. If the .agilekeychain file is in the top level of your Dropbox folder, you'll need to create a new folder inside your Dropbox folder, and move the .agilekeychain file there. Please take a look at the steps here for more information: Share a vault using Dropbox

So for example, on your iMac at home, you might have your sync file stored here: ~/Dropbox/home/1Password.agilekeychain

And on your MacBook Pro at work, you might have your sync file stored here: ~/Dropbox/work/1Password.agilekeychain

The sync files don't necessarily have to be in those exact locations, they're just suggestions. The point is that, to make sure those vaults/sync files stay separate from each other, you can simply make sure they are in a different folder within Dropbox. When you share the 'home' and 'work' folders with each Dropbox account, both Dropbox accounts will end up with both of those folders. So even though the sync files have the same names, they will be in different locations so they won't conflict with each other.

Now on the other hand, you can certainly rename one (or both) of those sync files if you want to. But you'll still need to make sure the sync files are located inside folders within your Dropbox folder. If you decide to rename a sync file, make sure it still has the same file extension. Once you change the name, you'll need to open 1Password on that same Mac and re-enable Dropbox sync with the renamed sync file (sync will most likely become disabled after you change the name of the file).

Does that help? It can seem a bit confusing, so please let us know if that makes sense and if you have more questions. Thanks! :)

• Teaman
    Teaman
    Community Member
    Options

Without going into the details of how... I ended up with my work Dropbox file being called 1Password.opvault and the home Dropbox file being called 1Password.agilekeychain. I put them both into ~/Dropbox/1Password/ of each Dropbox location (work and home) and so far they seem to co-exist ok. Let me now if that's a bad idea.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Teaman,

That shouldn't be a problem at all! Agile Keychain and OPVault are simply two different sync formats that 1Password can use to sync data via Dropbox. Because they have different extensions, their file names are different and they can be in the same folder with each other.

If you want to, you can still rename them if it helps you tell which one is for which vault (they could be named something along the lines of work.opvault and home.agilekeychain). Just keep their extensions the same, and remember to re-enable sync in 1Password after changing their names.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know. :)

• Teaman
    Teaman
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Drew_AG! I was able to rename the opvault file for work and it worked great! I didn't need to re-enable the sync in 1PW. It recognized the change intelligently.

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

That's great, @Teaman. I know Drew will be happy to hear that. :)

If we can be of further assistance, please let us know. We are always here to help.

This discussion has been closed.