Changing Data in the 1 Password App.

Options
JoeAldrich
JoeAldrich
Community Member

If I sign in to 1 Password 6 on my Mac Mini and try to do some work there I almost immediately get disconnected from iCloud. I tried working on both Log-ins and Secure Notes. Same results.

Any help will be appreciated.
Joe

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:Changing Data in the 1 Password App.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeAldrich,

I'm sorry to hear you're having some difficulty with 1Password and iCloud! We'll be happy to help you get to the bottom of this.

If I sign in to 1 Password 6 on my Mac Mini and try to do some work there...

When you say you sign in, do you mean you're unlocking the 1Password app with your master password? If so, are you unlocking the main 1Password app, or are you unlocking 1Password mini / browser extension? Or do you mean you sign into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account from your Teams/Families website? Or something else?

...I almost immediately get disconnected from iCloud.

That could mean a few different things, so it will help if you can clarify that. Are you seeing an error message about iCloud? If so, what is the exact message you see? If possible, it would be great if you could take a screenshot of that message and include it in your reply so we can see it.

Is the error message something that happens in the 1Password app, or on your Mac in general, or on the iCloud website, or somewhere else? Also, what are the exact steps you take to reproduce this problem? Does it only happen when you try to edit an item in your vault?

If you can describe exactly what you're trying to do, the exact steps you're taking to do it, what you expect to happen, and what happens instead, we should have a much better idea of how to help you get things working again. The more details, the better. Thanks in advance! :)

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Let me rephrase: When I open the Main 1Password App (I unlock it if necessary) on my Mac Mini to do some work there I get this message

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Further to my previous: If I leave the browser window where I re-connected open it always has a slowly spinning gray circle near the top center of the browser window forever I assume. I can close the browser tab (or window) and iCloud remains connected until I do something like try to work in the Main 1Password 6 App.

Joe

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeAldrich,

Thank you for the screenshot and the additional information! I have a much better understanding of what you're seeing on your end now.

Normally, 1Password should only ask you to sign into your Apple ID when you enable (or re-enable) sync with iCloud in 1Password on your Mac, or when you change your Apple ID password or security settings. When you sign in with your Apple ID on that site, Apple gives 1Password a "token" so it can continue to log in and sync your 1Password data without asking you to log in each time. That token doesn't have a definitive expiration date, although once in a while it might expire (we don't control that). But that shouldn't happen very often at all - so if it happens every time you use the main 1Password app, that's very strange.

As far as the spinning gray circle on the Apple ID sign-in page, that shouldn't be a problem. If you sign in but it keeps spinning, check the sync preferences in 1Password to make sure iCloud seems to be enabled and working - if it is, just close out of that window in your browser.

If you're still getting that error and being asked to sign into your Apple ID every time you use 1Password, please try this:

• Open the 1Password app and go to 1Password > Preferences > Sync.
    • Change the sync setting from iCloud to None, then click Disable Sync.
    • While holding the control key on your keyboard, go to the 1Password menu and select "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini".
    • Reboot your Mac.
    • After your Mac restarts, launch the main 1Password app and unlock it.
    • Go back to the sync settings and change it from None back to iCloud.
    • When the sign-in page opens on Apple.com, sign in using your Apple ID.
    • Complete the sync setup in 1Password (if the circle on the Apple sign-in page is still spinning, you can close that as long as 1Password is now syncing with iCloud).

Let us know how it goes and if you still run into the same problem after that. Thanks!

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Drew_AG, It seems that this "problem" is mostly a nuisance and I am going to treat it as such until I learn differently. If I do learn differently I'll let you know. Thanks for looking into it for me.

Joe

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@JoeAldrich,

There was a bug recently that affected iCloud session expiration. (The token would expire much more quickly than it should have.) It kind of looks like that is what you are seeing.

We certainly won't make you try to resolve it, but we should be able to get it sorted out if you wanted to fix it. :)

Are you saying that you are still seeing the problem after following Drew's steps above? If you haven't tried them yet, I suggest doing so, as it should make the nuisance a thing of the past.

Our primary concern is that if your data is not syncing, then you may not be able to access a password on your iPhone (for example) when you really need to.

Do let us know if you'd like to pursue this further. We're here to help. :+1:

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

khad, I had better try to fix the problem. It showed up again almost exactly when your message was arriving just now. I'm too sleepy to try anything tonight but I'll get on it in the morning and see where Drew's steps take me. I have not tried Drew's steps yet but I will in the morning. I'll let you know the preliminary results when I get them.

Joe

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Sounds good! Sleep well. We'll be here whenever it is convenient for you. :)

Cheers!

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

7:07 AM 20160624 I just went through Drew's step-by-step then shut down my Mac Mini followed by rebooting. After the restart I followed Drew's step-by-step until I reached a point where I could not click the "start syncing" button. I am attaching an image of where I am now.

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

I pressed the cancel button after several minutes and repeated from there. I am now at point you see in the attached image and I will leave it there until I here from you.

Joe

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @JoeAldrich,

Thank you for the screenshot! If you signed into your Apple ID on the web page that opened, and that seemed to work as expected but the Start Syncing button in 1Password remains grayed-out, that's a bit of a strange problem. I'm not sure why that would happen, so to help us figure out what's going on and how to solve it, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

I sent you the requested diagnostics report in an email. I believe I got all of the info you requested into the email.

Joe

• JoeAldrich
    JoeAldrich
    Community Member
    Options

Support ID number: #NDB-75524-865

Joe Aldrich

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks @JoeAldrich! I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: NDB-75524-865

This discussion has been closed.