Password is entered with two extra characters at the end

Options
cspalding3
cspalding3
Community Member

1Password (in Firefox) generally works fine for me, but for one website (redcross.org) the password is entered with two extra characters at the end. That is, if I delete the last two dots, the password is accepted. Is there some configuration option I can change? (I have Autosubmit disabled.)

1Password Version: 3.8.22
Extension Version: 3.9.20
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.6.8
Sync Type: None
Referrer: forum-search:Password is entered with two extra characters at the end

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @cspalding3,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

You're using a very old version of 1Password (and the 1Password extension and OS X). We've made some huge improvements since then, but I think I might be able to resolve the issue for you even if you don't update to the current versions of everything. :)

My guess is that the site actually truncated your password when you created your account, so the last couple characters were saved in 1Password. 1Password will save the whole password, which is a Good Thing™. But the site may be poorly coded, so it only accepts a limited number of characters.

Edit your redcross.org Login item and make a note of those last two characters in the password. Then remove them and save the Login. Does it work now?

If not, add the two characters back to the password, so you don't lose them. Then let me know the exact URL of the sign-in page, so we can take a closer look.

Cheers!

• cspalding3
    cspalding3
    Community Member
    Options

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. Yes, I know I'm behind the times, but I have reasons for sticking with Mac OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard).

Unfortunately, your guess is wrong. If I copy the password from 1Password, and paste it in the login page (which shortens the password filled in by 1Password--i.e., fewer dots), the login succeeds. The login also succeeds if I have 1Password fill in the username & password, and then I delete the last two dots of the (hidden) password.

I just tried on a newer Mac that is running 10.9.5 (Mavericks) with 1Password 4.4.3 (Firefox extension version 4.5.4), and the behavior was the same.

The sign-in page I'm trying to access is at https://www.redcross.org/accounthelp/signIn.jsp .

Regards,

CSpalding3

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Thanks for following up, @cspalding3.

How long is your password? (You don't have to answer that here if you don't want to. I wouldn't hesitate to share my own password length if I had an account there, but this is a public forum. It's up to you if you want to share it here or not.)

The maximum length specified in the code on the page is 16 characters. If your password is exactly 18 characters, that would explain the problem.

Note that pasting the password is not the same as having 1Password fill the password. You will get different results since 1Password fills the page directly (and is thus not subject to the maxlength limit). When you paste the password, it is subject to the maxlength limit and will truncate the characters automatically.

Try changing your password to a new one that is generated by 1Password, but make sure it is exactly 16 characters. That should work.

• cspalding3
    cspalding3
    Community Member
    Options

You were exactly correct. Thank you very much for your help!

CSpalding3

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Woohoo! I'm glad that it is working now. Thanks for letting me know, @cspalding3. :)

Have a great rest of your week!

This discussion has been closed.