1Password creating Passwords when updating login info.

Options
dkelsh
dkelsh
Community Member

Was just going through passwords for various sites and updating them. It asks if you would like to update the password you have for the site in 1password, to which I said yes. After checking back in 1password, a number of passwords seem to have been created as well as updating the logins - is it okay just to delete these passwords?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OSX 10.11.6
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:login and password

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @dkelsh,

Thanks for writing in with your question!

Do those extra Password items have the same exact passwords as the corresponding Login items? As long as your Login items have been updated with the new passwords you generated, you can delete any extra Password items that contain those same passwords, since they are redundant.

To explain a bit about why those Password items are created in the first place: When you generate a new password in 1Password mini and fill that generated password on a website, a new Password item is created as a safety net (in case 1Password doesn't prompt you to save or update a Login item with the new password). But if 1Password prompts you to update the Login item and you click the 'Update Existing' button, it should update your Login item and delete the corresponding Password item. So under normal circumstances, you shouldn't see those extra Password items.

I'm not sure why those Password items weren't automatically moved to the Trash, but as long as their passwords have been saved in the Login items, you no longer need those Password items.

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions or need anything else, just let us know! :)

• dkelsh
    dkelsh
    Community Member
    Options

Oh okay thats good thanks, I was getting some websites where it wasn't recognising the change so it must have been the safe net. I just made sure that I copied and pasted each password and altered the information after if needed. Another question about the mini client though: I have selected "Copy to clipboard and fill" but every time I fill and try to paste the result my clipboard comes up as empty and am unable to paste the password. Is this a bug?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited June 2016
    Options

@dkelsh,

Yeah, we have an article that explains how to use those Password items if the password wasn't updated in your Login item:

If you generated a password that wasn't saved, or you can't sign in

If you have the password in a Login item, there is no need to keep it around. In fact, 1Password makes it easy. Choose Help > Tools > Remove Redundant Generated Passwords. That will get rid of any Password items that match passwords in corresponding Login items and leave you with only the ones that aren't in Login items. :)

As for the clipboard being empty, what do you have "Clear clipboard contents after" set to in Preferences > Security? And has that amount of time elapsed when you are trying to paste?

• dkelsh
    dkelsh
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks very much, this helped a lot!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

On behalf of Khad, you're very welcome! I'm glad that helped solve the problem. Hopefully you're all set now, but we're here for you if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.