Apple ID password reset, can't restore in-app purchase

SparrowBlaze
SparrowBlaze
Community Member

I bought the Pro Features in-app purchase not too long after I bought the 1Password app for iOS about a year or two ago. I've been really impressed by the extra categories, and the one-time-passwords feature, each of which have been extremely useful for most of that time. Recently, I changed my Apple ID password, as most people are wont to do when they feel it might've been compromised.... Now, I can no longer access those Pro features! The app asks me to restore my purchase, but it rather defiantly gives me a "Failed to Restore Purchases" message. It tells me that "There were no purchases associated with [my] Apple ID. [I] may have made the original purchase with a different Apple ID or possibly with a family member's account."

I used the same Apple ID I've always used... Not a family member's account, nit a different account, the same Apple ID account!

I've been in contact with Apple Support, as well as their iTunes and billing department, not sure whom to go to first. They told me the same thing—that there was no such purchase associated with my account. They told me to "talk to the app's developer about it." Here I am.

Any help here would be great! Thanks.

1Password Version: 6.4.2
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: iOS 9.3.2
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SparrowBlaze,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

It will probably be less amusing to you than it was to me (considering the circumstances), but I was just giving a history lesson about 1Password on iOS in another discussion. The relevant bit:

After a while, we decided to make 1Password for iOS free, and we added some additional features that could be bought as an in-app purchase. We called these features (perhaps confusingly, considering the history of the term): Pro features.

Anyone who purchased 1Password for iOS (the modern, universal app) was grandfathered in to the Pro features. They got them free without having to pay again. So it's possible you never bought the Pro features separately. If you bought 1Password 4 for iOS when it came out, you got them free.

Now, changing your Apple ID password shouldn't affect your purchase history in any way. Whether you were grandfathered in to the Pro features because you purchased 1Password before we made the app free and parceled out the Pro features separately, or if you downloaded the free version and purchased them separately…it shouldn't make a difference.

What I'd like you to try is completely deleting the 1Password app and reinstalling it. Obviously, you want to make sure that all your data is safely synced and backed up before you do that, so let me know if you need any assistance in that regard. But the reason I'm suggesting this is that it's possible there is some confusion trying to authorize your purchase since you changed your Apple ID password.

Let me give an example of why I am suggesting this:

Say you install the 1Password app with a "family" Apple ID since the app itself is free. Then you switch to your own Apple ID later to try to restore the purchase you made with your personal Apple ID. The purchase will not restore. The way Apple has set things up, you have to both install the app and restore the purchase using the same Apple ID in order for it to work. In that case, reinstalling the app using your personal Apple ID (the one that made the purchase), will allow you to restore the purchase.

What you are encountering shouldn't be related to that, but it's worth trying before you go crazy trying to get Apple to resolve things. :)

• SparrowBlaze
    SparrowBlaze
    Community Member

So, tried reinstalling the app. No luck. I eventually just paid the $10 when I had it. :(

Thanks for the help though!
    :)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad you have the Pro features again, but sorry to hear you had to re-purchase them! It was certainly worth trying Khad's suggestion in case it helped, but it sounds like you've always used the same Apple ID - the problem seems to be that Apple doesn't have any record of your purchase of the Pro features. If their system doesn't recognize that you previously purchased Pro features, it makes sense that it won't restore them.

Unfortunately we don't have any control over Apple IDs or what purchases are associated with what IDs - that's all controlled entirely by Apple, and we don't have any access to that information. We would normally suggest contacting Apple about that, but obviously you already did. I'm really sorry we don't have more control in situations like this, or even any information to help explain what might have happened!

However, if you run into other problems with 1Password or have more questions about it, please don't hesitate to let us know. We're here for you! :)

• SparrowBlaze
    SparrowBlaze
    Community Member

Will do. Thanks so much!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

:chuffed: :+1:

• EvilTiger
    EvilTiger
    Community Member

I'm having a similar issue. I've been a 1Password user on iOS and Mac since the early days and have always upgraded/purchased along the way. By far one of the best applications but recently I cannot access the pro features on iOS. I try to restore purchases but it is failing. I've checked my Apple ID's and even checked my purchase history to make sure I indeed purchased the Pro features, which I did. This has also been confirmed with Apple. I spent over an hour with Apple on the phone the other night trying to get the issue resolved. Logging in and out of my Apple ID's without much luck. I believe its a problem with the Apple aliases. The purchases were made using a me.com account but iOS is now forcing everything through Mac.com accounts. Frustrating as I feel the only way to restore at this point is to purchase the upgrade again. There has to be something Agile and Apple can do to resolve this issue.

• @EvilTiger,

When 1Password requests the receipt for Pro features from Apple what we get back is the receipt (if any) for the Apple ID you used to install 1Password. If you installed 1Password using a different Apple ID than the one you purchased on that would explain what you are seeing. You'd need to backup your data ( https://support.1password.com/ios-itunes-backups/ ), and reinstall the 1Password for iOS app after making sure you are logged into the App Store on iOS with the correct Apple ID.

If you're still having trouble after doing so please send us a copy of your receipt or proof of purchase that shows the Apple ID the purchase was on as well as a diagnostic report:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the Diagnostics Report and receipt / proof of purchase to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

Ben

• LabCat
    LabCat
    Community Member

@Ben, I found this thread as I was having issues restoring the purchase. Thanks for the explanation and instructions. Everything works fine again!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

Excellent! On behalf of Ben, you are most welcome! I'm glad to hear that all is well. It sounds like you should be all set, but don't hesitate to reach out if we can be of further assistance. We're always here to help! :)

This discussion has been closed.