Got lost in 1Password :-))))

Options
Ayara Nidajat
Ayara Nidajat
Community Member

Hi guys! Sorry, I guess I am a bit too old for this stuff. When I started using 1P everything was simple: sky was up there, it was blue (many times), green was usually the color of the trees and so.
I wiped off my hard disk and like many times in the past I wanted to reinstall the software.
But... apparently there are evil minds somewhere there and... what once was a simple/easy process, now you need to pass something like a Seals training.
Families, teams, all kind of other mysterious stuff...

The system wanted me to write my "Sign-in address" (What _is_ that?!)
Then I elegantly ignored this field and moved on to more friendly ones... but after finishing all the system (who is that?! Who is sitting behind this name?!) (I don't dare even trying to picture them!)...
I am all covered with cold sweat, blood pressure in the cloud (yeah... everything those days in the cloud) and my wife asked my why am I crying...
Seriously guys... can someone just tell me how can I re-start using 1P again, PLEEEEEEEEEASE????
:-)))))))

1Password Version: 6
Extension Version: 6.3.1
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox
Referrer: forum-search:can't install 1password

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Ayara Nidajat ,

Uh-ohh, it sounds as if someone is on the verge of a breakdown …
    First off — you're never too old, you can learn something new every day.
    Second Keep Calm! There are people out there that can help.

O.k. you're in the Mac forums here, so we'll assume that you are using a Mac and, for some as yet unknown reason, you wiped your system and re-installed. During the installation, the system wanted to know your "Sign-in address" this would probably have been the password for your iCloud account/app-store account.

If that is correct so far, then the guys at AgileBits will want to know the following (when they eventually arise from their slumbers):

• Where did you purchase 1Password? Was it on the Apple app store or directly from AgileBits?
    • If you purchased on the Apple app store - do you still remember your password?
    • Have you been able to re-download 1Password and get it installed again?
    … and perhaps most important of all
    • Do you remember the Master Password for 1Password.

As soon as we know the answer to these questions someone will be able to help reduce the frustration.

Keep a cool heart — as they say in Asia,
    Cheers,
    Rob

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Ayara Nidajat

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that you bumped into some trouble setting 1Password. Thank you for your approach on it, you gave me a big smile :lol: We'll get you up and running in no time, with no need for more sweat (or tears)!

Now, on to our pending quest to set you up with 1Password! You only have an account if you have a subscription to 1Password Families or Teams. The "sign in address", "Account Key" and other unfamiliar terms you see are all part of the accounts, that I don't think you want to use. Just some food for thought: if you like to wipe your hard drive and start from scratch or change computers often, you might want to think about 1Password Families. Your data would be stored on our servers and you'd be ready to go in about three or four clicks on every device. If you want to know more about this, let me know and I'll be glad to tell you more :chuffed:

When you're asked, you need to tell 1Password that you do not have an account. Everything should be as you know it from here. I've resent you your license in case you need it, remember that you only need to click on the link on the email that you just got. You should be able to see the Sync option in preferences and set it up. If you've made some other backup, then if you give us some more details on what kind of backup you've done we'll be glad to help you set it up!

Please let us know how this goes, if you bump into any issue we're always here to help you get to the next step. Find us before it gets too annoying ;)

• Ayara Nidajat
    Ayara Nidajat
    Community Member
    Options

Hello rjh and Pilar.
    Thanks for your prompt, nice and useful replies!
    "First off — you're never too old, you can learn something new every day."
    I do, I do! It's just the day after... I forgot what was it that I learned... :chuffed:

"...for some as yet unknown reason, you wiped your system and re-installed".
    I needed to take my MBP to the Apple store for a screen replacement, I didn't want any information to stay there, and anyway, I wanted to do it quite for some time, a clean install and except my data files reinstall all from scratch to help it run smoothly.

"• Where did you purchase 1Password? Was it on the Apple app store or directly from AgileBits?
    • If you purchased on the Apple app store - do you still remember your password?
    • Have you been able to re-download 1Password and get it installed again?
    … and perhaps most important of all
    • Do you remember the Master Password for 1Password."

For all the above questions I have the answers, since I have all my data backed up AND cloned.

..."you gave me a big smile"...
    Well... that was the whole purpose! :chuffed:

"If you want to know more about this, let me know and I'll be glad to tell you more."
    Thanks, but I never saw the need, since I have in my household 3 laptops+ several more iPods/iPhones and so, sharing 1P and syncing successfully (till now at least... :chuffed: ) the different vaults and info.
    Besides, I'm "old school" (you know, like the people who don't trust the bank and put the $ inside the mattress?). I don't trust the clouds, so I have my backup system religiously working every time I have a change in the computer, in 2 different hard disks+ online.

Well, and now, to the point: somehow I succeeded to get 1P up and running again. At some point, instead of going one way, I tried the other one, I wanted to go back and recreate the way, so I can tell you, but, apparently that was a "way with no return"... :chuffed:
    As I said, now 1P is running, synching and everything is nice and calm and we're keeping a cool heart!...:chuffed:
    So, again, thank you for your help and inspiration. Hope you have a great day.
    AN

BTW... Don't come looking for my $ in the mattress. I don't keep it there... :chuffed:

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@Ayara Nidajat I'm glad everything is working properly!

It sounds like when you reinstalled 1Password you originally chose "Sign into a 1Password account." Since you haven't signed up for 1Password Families or 1Password Teams you don't technically have a 1Password account, you were just using it with a license. (I know, that's not the most intuitive thing to grok, and we're working on ways to make this clearer for our smart and handsome customers.)

Then you must have chosen "Use without an account" and gotten everything set up. Bada-bing bada-boom, everything's working as expected. Now anyone who has a similar issue can find this thread and know that everything is going to be OK :)

• Ayara Nidajat
    Ayara Nidajat
    Community Member
    Options

Hi nmott.
    Thanks.
    ..."for our smart and handsome customers."
    You mean for all the others... that's OK. :chuffed:

But anyway, yes I think that's the way I did it.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.