Lost hard drive and now cannot log in

Options
GeorgiaG
GeorgiaG
Community Member

I have a license for a family version. I have it on all devices and have the same master password but on my home computer, which just had the hard drive replaced, I am unable to log in. It rejects the master password.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: the lost hard drive was the hub / backup on dropbo
Referrer: forum-search:Lost hard drive and now cannot log in using the master password I am using on all other devices

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @GeorgiaG,

Sorry to hear you're having trouble getting 1Password back up and running on your replacement hard drive!

Did you set up the new hard drive from scratch, or did you restore it from a full backup of the old hard drive? If you restored from a backup of the old hard drive, is it possible it was an older backup which had an older master password? Were you immediately asked for a master password the first time you launched the 1Password app on that new hard drive?

If you set up the new hard drive from scratch, 1Password should have taken you through a setup the first time you opened the app after downloading it. That would have given you options such as finding/syncing your data (from a source like Dropbox, iCloud, backup files, etc), creating a new vault, or signing into a 1Password Teams or 1Password Families account. Which option did you choose?

Can you also please give us a few details about your setup and how you sync your 1Password data between all your devices? For the sync type, you said "the lost hard drive was the hub" (and that you have a backup on Dropbox). Does that mean you were using the Wi-Fi sync option between one Mac and multiple iOS and/or Android devices? Or were you using the Folder sync option between multiple Macs? What sort of backup do you have in Dropbox? If you have a .agilekeychain or .opvault file in Dropbox, do you know if that has your latest data?

Thanks in advance! :)

• GeorgiaG
    GeorgiaG
    Community Member
    Options

OK. Yes. I was setting up from scratch. It was Wi-Fi and it was the 'parent' that everyone looked to. It is a old style family license - not your new one. I had a slightly earlier copy on dropbox so I have directed my phone to look there for now. There was something about the wifi sync option that stopped me, perhaps because I was using it as the parent before and there was nothing for it to look at? I am not sure. I think we might have been ok if it had recognized the master password that I use (the i
    phone and ipad do) but it would not and that is where I got hung up. I was unable to log in. If I start again I might loose all of my earlier data. Thank you for your help.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

This is just a thought that may not be relevant, but has turned out to be occasionally useful.

Do you have symbols or accented letters in your master password? If so, check what language keyboard you are using. Even between US and UK keyboards these can be different, and a trying to type on one keyboard a password set up in another can fail.

Particularly as you had to set up your system from the start, a keyboard change is not unlikely.

• nmott
    nmott
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@GeorgiaG danco is correct, this is sometimes caused by input sources or special characters. Please check to make sure everything is on the same setting and then try the Master Password on the Mac again :)

If that isn't it, I wonder if perhaps you changed your Master Password at any point? You say that you found old data to use -- is there any chance it was saved when you were using a previous Master Password? That would also explain the issue with unlocking 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.