License for multiple version?

phenke
phenke
Community Member

I have a very specific question that I have had a hard time narrowing down using search terms here so I think it is probably easier to ask.

I have an iPhone 6s, a Windows 10 computer (which I use most often), and a macbook running 10.7. I am using the trial on the windows machine and the iPhone but plan to get pro if I can get the older version to work with the same license, I don't wish to purchase and old license to work with the machine that has 10.7. What I want to know is whether the license for the current version would also work with the older version so I can use 1Password on my 10.7 mac as well. I know sync won't work but I am okay with occasionally copying the database file from my pc to update the mac. I would love to upgrade to the latest mac version but my laptop supports nothing newer than 10.7. Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @phenke,

Thanks for writing in with your question!

If you purchase a license from our AgileBits Store, that will include a license file to activate 1Password 4/5/6 for Mac, and a license code to activate 1Password 4 for Windows. For OS X 10.7 (Lion), you'll need a license for 1Password 3 for Mac - but don't worry, you don't need to make a separate purchase for that! We can create a 1Password 3 for Mac license for you if one isn't created automatically - just let us know once you've made your purchase and we'll be happy to help with that.

And I have more good news: You'll be able to sync your 1Password data between your Mac, Windows PC, and iPhone using Dropbox sync! So you won't need to manually copy your vault between Mac & Windows - Dropbox can automatically do that for you. If you need any help to set that up, just let us know.

We're here for you if you have more questions about that. Have a great weekend! :)

• phenke
    phenke
    Community Member

Thanks, that cleared a lot up for me. Definitely makes it an easier decision. Drop box sync would work even with 1Password 3, I did not realize that. Although I'm a bit uneasy using drop box to store sensitive passwords so I think I'd prefer to just manually move the file as needed.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

You're very welcome @phenke, glad I could help!

Someone just reminded me that license codes for 1Password 3 for Mac aren't currently being created automatically when a new license is purchased - but we'll be more than happy to create one for you once you buy the license! After making your purchase, just shoot a quick email over to support+licenses@agilebits.com to let us know you also need a 1Password 3 for Mac license and we'll take care of that for you (feel free to include a link to this forum discussion in your email if you want). I apologize for the confusion! (I'll edit my previous message to avoid confusion for anyone else who might read it.)

Just a quick note about the security of your data in Dropbox: 1Password is secure by design and your 1Password data is end-to-end encrypted. In other words, 1Password simply doesn't depend on the security of Dropbox or any other sync service to protect your data. If you're interested, we explain more about that here: How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Of course, you're more than welcome to manually copy your data file between Mac and Windows if you'd prefer - I just wanted to let you know about all that in case it makes a difference for you. :)

If you need anything else, you know where to find us! ;)

This discussion has been closed.