Cuts to text in secure notes reappear and note reappears after trash empty.

SallyH499
SallyH499
Community Member

Program is not allowing me to edit a secure note - it only saves what I add but anything I cut keeps returning after I save. I gave up trying to edit the note and tried to delete the note and create a new note. But when I empty the trash, the note keeps coming back. It's a note that refuses to die.
I uninstalled the program from all my computers and iphone. I also removed all extensions from all browsers. I cleared caches, restarted, reinstalled, you name it. I then reinstalled the program on just one computer from Apple store. No luck.
I have a 2015 macbook pro and mac mini both running El Capitan. Have been using 1Password for a number of years and this is first big problem I have had with this program but its maddening.

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (631005)
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X El Capitan 10.11.5
Sync Type: google drive

Comments

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

I am having the same problem along with another one. Program v. 6.3.1 (631005) is not allowing me to edit a secure note - it only saves what I add but anything I cut keeps returning after I save. I gave up trying to edit the note and tried to delete the note and create a new note. But when I empty the trash, the note keeps reappearing.
    I uninstalled the program from all my computers and iphone. I also removed all extensions from all browsers. I cleared caches, restarted, reinstalled, you name it. I then reinstalled it (bought it via the Apple store and paid extra for special features on iphone) No luck.
    I have a 2015 macbook pro and mac mini both running latest version of El Capitan.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SallyH499: It sounds like you're just getting a sync conflict, with Google Drive insisting on syncing the same (old) data repeatedly even when you change it and the newer data should take precedence. This is why I gave up on Google Drive on my Mac. :lol:

Try disabling sync and reenabling it to recreate the vault on disk. Just make sure you backup your data. You never know what the Google Drive client will do! :dizzy:

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SallyH499: What sync method are you using? This sounds like it may be another case of sync conflicts, perhaps using another unsupported sync method that doesn't play well with 1Password's file structure. Which OS and 1Password versions are you using on each device? Thanks in advance!

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

I will try this to see what happens and report back. I have never had problems with google drive before. And I do know that it updated the data in the file in the drive because I added items that remain and synced. It's just what I removed won't go away. Whether updating the note or trying to delete the note.

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

@brenty - Thank you for replying. I am using google drive. I am going to disable and see how it works and get back to you. Is google drive not supported?

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

@brenty - just spent morning trying to figure it out and same problem. I disabled, uninstalled, reinstalled, moved the file to the desktop to open from there with sync off, and it still did the same darn thing. So, it's not google drive. :(

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

@brenty - just spent morning trying to figure it out and same problem. I disabled, uninstalled, reinstalled, moved the file to the desktop to open from there with sync off, and it still did the same darn thing. So, it's not google drive. :(

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I disabled, uninstalled, reinstalled, moved the file to the desktop to open from there with sync off, and it still did the same darn thing.

@SallyH499: Can you explain what you mean by this? This as well, since I'm wondering now if I've misunderstood your description in the first place:

Program is not allowing me to edit a secure note - it only saves what I add but anything I cut keeps returning after I save. I gave up trying to edit the note and tried to delete the note and create a new note. But when I empty the trash, the note keeps coming back. It's a note that refuses to die.

Please tell me the exact steps and what is (or is not) happening at each point. I'm not sure what you're talking about moving to the desktop here. Could you please clarify what you're seeing? If it's simpler, take a screenshot of this. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Just be sure not to post any sensitive information, as this is a public forum. Thanks advance!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SallyH499: I hope you don't mind, but I've merged your other posts here so we're not having two separate but equally confusing discussions regarding your sync issues. Please see my reply above and let me know what you find!

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

I wish I had done the screenshots for you before I switched from agilekeychain to opvault for my primary vault, which seems to have fixed the problem. But to better explain, I had a secure note item. Within the secure note item there is a "note" section to add and edit text. I had created this secure note in a previous version of 1pass so had been using it for a long time and had kept it updated every few months as was tracking financial information. In the past, it would allow me to delete paragraphs of text as part of my edit and save it. But in the past year (saw it had been saving for a good year at the bottom the pre edited notes) quit saving my cuts. Saved what I added and kept what I cut. When I tried over and over to cut out all the unwanted note text within the secure note item , the cut text kept returning. I then gave up and tried to delete the entire secure note item but moving it to the trash. I tried repeatedly to empty the trash and it wouldn't go away. Uninstalling the program from all my devices and the extensions from all my browsers and then reinstalling just the program on one device didn't change anything. Neither did moving the file out of google drive.

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

forgot to mention what I meant by "with sync off" I went into the 1password preferences and just turned off all the sync options and wifi. and into help and disabled it. Basically, I did all I could to eliminate potential sync issues. Nothing worked until I converted to the opvault and now its fine and syncing in google drive on all my devices again.

• SallyH499
    SallyH499
    Community Member

this is what I disabled from the help menu. It's still disabled but the opvault is syncing fine in google drive, that setting in preferences.

Attaching screenshot of that current folder sync setting, too. (was set to "none" when i was trying to fix the keychain file but
    wouldn't work even when importing it into a new vault.)

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @SallyH499,

I’m glad to hear that switching to OPVault seems to have fixed things up for you - that’s awesome! I hope that Google Drive sync continues to work flawlessly for you from now on.

If you have any more questions, though, you know where to find us. :)

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@SallyH499: Thanks for following up! It sounds like what may have actually happened was the files themselves became damaged, which prevented 1Password from updating it properly. I think you'll probably be okay now. If I'm right, it makes sense that creating a brand new vault would resolve the issue: it was written from scratch to a different location on disk. Be sure to reboot into recovery mode to verify and repair the drive using Disk Utility just to be on the safe side!

This discussion has been closed.