Dock icon become "invisible" when using dark menu bar and Dock on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

birkhoff
birkhoff
Community Member

I have found that if I enabled the dark mode in OS X El Capitan, the 1Password Mini Dock icon will become invisible.
I checked out this: https://goo.gl/wsC18m, you said that the bug was fixed, but it seems not.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Dock icon become "invisible" when using dark menu bar and Dock on OS X El Capitan 10.11.5

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@birkhoff: Oddly enough, I use dark mode daily (or, nightly I guess) with some pseudo-tacky utilities like f.lux and Bartender (<3), and haven't seen this myself or heard reports of it. I disabled both just to see if they were somehow "fixing" it, but it looks the same:

Are you using other 3rd party software that may be modifying menu bar behaviour? have you tried restarting your Mac? I'm curious as to why you'd only be encountering this issue now. Let me know what you find!

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@brenty I also use Bartender and I have tried restarting my Mac. Here is the screenshot.

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member
  • khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for that screenshot, @birkhoff. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps 1Password mini is running from an older version of 1Password on your Mac. Is it possible you have more than one copy of 1Password on your Mac? Be sure to check any external drives that are mounted as well. Sometimes OS X gets a little punchy and starts launching 1Password mini from wherever he can find it — even if it's not the right copy of 1Password mini.

A quick way to check would be to open Activity Monitor, find 1Password mini in the list, then double-click it. Under Open Files and Ports, check the path. It should be the same as the 1Password app in your Applications folder. If it's not, that could be the explanation.

Let me know what you uncover.

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@khad It seems that they are in the same directory.

• Hi @birkhoff ,

Does this only happen with Bartender turned on? If you quit Bartender, does the icon show up properly?

Thanks,
    Kevin

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@ag_kevin No. Looks like it's not Bartender's problem.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @birkhoff,

Thanks for confirming that. Looking back at the screenshots you posted yesterday, I noticed a couple things which might be clues as to why 1Password mini is appearing that way on your Mac:

In your first screenshot, the 1Password mini menu is drawn as if dark mode is disabled on your Mac - in other words, instead of being drawn mostly dark gray with white text, it is drawn mostly light gray with dark gray text. (Compare it to Brenty's screenshot to see what I mean.)

In your second screenshot, although it might look like the 1Password mini icon is invisible at a quick glance, it's actually there - you can see it if you look closely, but it's hard to tell because it's only a shade or two darker than the rest of the menubar. My guess is that it's being drawn as if dark mode was disabled on your Mac, which seems to match the behavior of the menu items you see when you open 1Password mini (i.e. in your first screenshot).

So I think the real question here is: Why is 1Password mini behaving as if dark mode is disabled? Something else I noticed in your screenshots is that your menubar appears to be a darker shade of black than in Brenty's screenshot, or on my own Mac. That makes me wonder if there's some other third-party software on your Mac which is somehow involved. Aside from Bartender, do you use any other software which might have something to do with customizing the menubar?

Also, if you open System Preferences > General on your Mac, can you confirm the "Use dark menu bar and Dock" option has a check mark next to it? If so, try disabling that option so your Mac is no longer in dark mode - does the 1Password mini icon show up as expected?

Thanks in advance! :)

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@Drew_AG I'm sure that I'm only using Bartender 2 for customising the menubar. And yes, the 1Password mini icon shows up as expected if I disable dark mode.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @birkhoff! That's strange and I don't know why 1Password mini isn't switching to dark mode when it's supposed to. To help us figure it out, I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

Attach the Diagnostics Report to an email message addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum username so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report and make sure you receive a reply as quickly as possible. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@Drew_AG, I have sent the report and the support ID number is [#BQC-48912-268]. Check it out. Thanks!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @birkhoff! I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there. Cheers! :)

ref: BQC-48912-268

• birkhoff
    birkhoff
    Community Member

@Drew_AG Okay, thanks in advance!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.