My password was soon to expire with my bank. After generating a new password, I selected the 'Update

tvacula
tvacula
Community Member

My password was soon to expire with my bank. After generating a new password, I selected the 'Update Account,' but it grabbed some text from another field and 'updated' the username, which I was not aware of until I tried to test the new login. Now I do not know what my previous username was, and it was a pretty random set of numbers entered into the username field when I opened the account years ago. Of course, there is a password history in 1Password, but how can I find a previous username?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:update username

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tvacula,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

The "Update Existing" option when 1Password detects a changed password should only ever update the password field. No other fields should be modified. There just isn't code in 1Password that will do that, so I'm not sure how the username field was modified if you were updating an existing Login item. Did you perhaps save a new Login item? I presume you already checked for another Login item that would have the username in it.

Do you have anything in your email archive that would include the username? An email from your bank when you first opened the account? If not, your best bet may be to contact the bank to get it sorted out. Do they have a link for "forget username" where you input your email address?

• tvacula
    tvacula
    Community Member

Thank you for your response, khad. Since you put it that way, here's what I see for this login: Date created - Oct. 7, 2011. Date modified - July 3, 2016. Password date modified - July 3, 2016.

But, it most definitely changed the username to my mother's maiden name, one of the security answers for this site. Rendering the previous username gone. No, there is no 'forgot username' option to their login, so I guess I will have to wait until Tuesday to contact the institution's system administrator to sort this out.

I'm just as surprised as you are, but I most definitely selected the update button, not create new. If there is no code to change the username, I sure don't understand how it did, but it certainly did!

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tvacula

I'm sorry to hear about your trouble with the update, sounds like maybe something weird was going on in the configuration of the site or something similar. I hope you'll be able to restore your username with your bank, that will be the easiest fix. If that doesn't work, don't fear! Not everything is lost! you'll probably be able to restore a backup from before you made this change.

Please let us know if everything gets sorted out! :chuffed:

• tvacula
    tvacula
    Community Member

Thank you, Pilar. Your comment '...restore from a backup from before...' was what I needed to prompt me to look around and figure out how to restore from a previous backup. I restored from a backup from a few days ago, copied the 'missing' username, then restored from my latest backup, edited my bank account privileges with the runaway username, and all is right with (my) world.

I think you are right, too, about 'something weird...configuration of the site.' This is a small bank and I've had issues with their web site before.

• Glad to hear you got it sorted out. If you notice this happen again, please let us know.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.