Errors when trying to launch 1Password 6 on new Mac

twebler
twebler
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

I have a license for 1P5. I have a new Mac running OS10.11. I got the license transferred to my computer from AgileBits website. I downloaded IP6. When I try to launch IP6, I get the error message that it is trying to connect to Password mini and it can't. Then I get the error that I have multiple copies of 1P6 (I don't and the box with the magnifying glass shows I only have the one).

Can anyone explain how this process works? Do I download IP6 or 1P5? Does it work with Safari? Where should my license be in my computer?
Thanks

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:new computer

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @twebler ,
    Sorry you're having problems starting 1Password.
    It sounds as if you may have a copy on a backup drive somewhere?
    Please take a look at this troubleshooting page — it might help solve your problem.

I hope this helps, otherwise return to this thread and someone will find a solution for you.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @twebler ,

Please let me know if the troubleshooting page that Rob shared helped you out with the 1Password mini error!

Can anyone explain how this process works? Do I download IP6 or 1P5?

Which process are you referring to here? If your operating system supports it, you should definitely be using 1Password 6, as it is the most up-to-date with fixes and features. 1Password 6 was a free upgrade from 1Password 5, so your license will work just fine.

Does it work with Safari?

It certainly does! Simply make sure that you have the browser extension installed.

Where should my license be in my computer?

Is 1Password 6 currently showing that you are in trial mode? It sounds to me like you’ve requested your license information from our website. In the email you received, there should be an option to ‘Apply your license file to 1Password’. Clicking this will license the app for you.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, we’re here for you!

• twebler
    twebler
    Community Member

Thanks rjh and Megan,

I found my original receipt. I purchased 1P5 in March 2015. I have a license for that.
    As I said, I had to give up my computer, and now I have a new one. It does not have any verson of 1P on it.

What should I do to get up an running again? can you lay out the specific steps? I don't understand anything about 1Pmini. As far as I recall, I simply had 1P on my Macbook Air and on my iPhone. (I still have the iPhone).

Thanks again,
    Tom

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @twebler,

It sounds like there are actually a couple different (and unrelated) things you're asking us about:

• You're unsure how to activate 1Password 6 on your new Mac with your license.
    • When you try to launch the main 1Password app on your new Mac, you get an error message that says "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" or "Extra copies of 1Password found".

Your license has nothing to do with the error messages you're seeing, so what we'll need to do first is solve the problem causing those errors. Once you're able to successfully launch and set up the 1Password app, activating it with your license will be a piece of cake! ;)

There are a few things which might cause the "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" error. If you're still seeing that message when trying to open 1Password, please try the steps in this knowledgebase article:

If you see "1Password failed to connect to 1Password mini" when trying to open 1Password

On the other hand, if you're only seeing the "Extra copies of 1Password found" error when launching 1Password, that should mean another copy of 1Password is being found somewhere on your system. Normally, you should be able to solve that by following the steps here:

If you see "extra copies of 1Password found"

If you try those steps but can't find the other copy of the 1Password app, and the "extra copies" error message only lists one copy, it would be really helpful for us if you could take a screenshot of that message. To include it in your reply, simply click the document button in the top of the comment field, and select the file you wish to share:

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to hearing back from you! :)

This discussion has been closed.