I would like to link 1password on my computer to my iPhone but am worried about security.

Pandatol
Pandatol
Community Member

I would like to link 1password on my computer to my iPhone but am worried about security. Is there a security explanation article about this or can you reassure me please?
Pandatol

1Password Version: 6.03
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.10.8
Sync Type: iCloud?
Referrer: forum-search:Security on linking 1password in my computer to my iPhone.

Comments

• Stephen_C
    Stephen_C
    Community Member

@Pandatol I think you will find this knowledge base article reassuring:

How 1Password protects your data when you use a sync service

Stephen

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pandatol

The link that Stephen_C provided will give you all the details that you need. The bottomline is that your data is always stored and sent encrypted. It's only decrypted locally on your device. Even on the very unlikely situation that Dropbox or iCloud were compromised and an attacker could get their hands on your data file, without your Master Password it would be 100% impossible to read or decrypt.

Please let us know if this helps you ease your mind, and if you have any other questions about the security in 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask! :chuffed:

• Pandatol
    Pandatol
    Community Member

Thank you Stephen_C and Pilar. I have been through the article but although re-assured I am still a little confused.
    I have an iPhone 6 and a Macbook Air 10.10.8. I purchased 1password v6.03 from Agilebits, not from Apple. Does that mean I have an 'account'? And is it better for me to sync using my iCloud or by WiFi ? ( I always thought they were the same!)
    Most grateful for your advice,
    Pandatol

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Pandatol

I'll be glad to clear this up for you! :chuffed: You only have an account if you have a 1Password Families subscription, what you have is a standalone license. Syncing over Wi-Fi means that you sync on a local network, without your data ever going on a cloud. Most people who pick Wi-Fi sync do it for this exact reason. You can read about the three ways to sync your data here: https://support.1password.com/sync-options/#sync-it-yourself-with-icloud-or-dropbox

About whether it's best to sync with iCloud or Wi-Fi, it depends on your level of skill, and what you need and want. For most people iCloud is a better solution, it's much easier to set up and you don't need to do anything to maintain it!

Please let us know if you have any more questions about syncing or 1Password! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.