List of logins doesn't go to first item of specific letter typed

jdguilty
jdguilty
Community Member

When I've selected the very first item in my list of logins, which begins with the letter "A", if I then press the letter "D" I would expect the selected item in my list to move to the very first item in the list that starts with "D". This same type of misbehavior occurs, for example, if the current item in the list begins with "L" and I've pressed "S" it doesn't go to the first item in the list that begins with "S".

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (631006)
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @jdguilty,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! I'm not sure why that isn't working for you, as I've been testing it in version 6.3.1 as well as out latest beta, and it works exactly as you've described in each one. But we'll do out best to help figure this out one way or another.

The first thing to make sure of is that the focus is currently in the list of items in 1Password - to do that, simply click on one of the items in the list. It should then be highlighted in the color set in your Mac's System Preferences. At that point, typing a letter on your keyboard should jump to the first item starting with that letter. On the other hand, if the focus is somewhere else (such as in the left sidebar or in the 'Search' field at the top), typing a letter on your keyboard will have a different effect.

You should also make sure the list of items is sorted by Title by checking the sort option right below the 'Search' field. You can click on the current sort option and choose 'Title' if necessary.

If the items are sorted by Title and you've clicked once on one of the items to make sure the focus is in the item list, but typing a letter doesn't jump to the first item that starts with that letter, what happens instead? Does it jump to the wrong item? Or does it appear to do nothing at all? (And if so, does your Mac at least beep or make some sort of sound when you type the letter?)

Let us know how it goes so far. Thanks! :)

• jdguilty
    jdguilty
    Community Member

I've made sure the focus is in the list and the list is sorted by name alphabetically ascending. Here's some interesting behavior to report: I've selected the first item in my list that begins with "D". Once I'm in the "Ds", if I press the "D" key, it takes anywhere between 3-5 presses of the "D" key to move to the next "D" item in the list, with the Mac "beeping" each press of the key. If I toggle off 1Password and go to another program, e.g., Safari, and then return 1o 1Password, if I press the "D" key it goes to the next "D" item in the list without any issue. This can be recreated with regularity. But as long as I'm remaining in 1Password, it takes between 3-5 presses of the "D" key to get to the next "D" item.

• Hi @jdguilty ,

I believe I can explain what is happening. It's not 3-5 presses that makes it work again, it's waiting a few seconds for it to reset. The feature works a little bit differently that what you are expecting. What it is doing is checking for you to type the name of the item you want to select, not pressing the same letter to go to the next item that starts with that letter. It was beeping because you had no items that started with "DD".

For example, let's say I have the following items in my list:

• Default item
    • Discourse
    • DPReview
    • Dropbox
    • Electric Company
    • Elephant.com
    • Evernote

If I want to select DPReview, I shouldn't type ddd - I should type dp - basically enough of the name to uniquely identify it. Likewise, if I wanted to select elephant.com, I should type elep and not ee.

Now, let's assume I made a mistake. I wanted to select DPReview but I typed dr by mistake and I'm at Dropbox. The solution is to wait a few seconds, and it resets. I then type dp and it will select DPReview.

This is standard behaviour. You'll notice that the Finder's list views, open dialogue boxes, etc. work the same way. And with this method, if you had 100 items that started with d, and wanted to select the 75th item, you wouldn't have to press d 75 times, you could just type a few characters of the name to select it.

Now, the reason you're able to type dd after a few second pause between presses is because the pause basically resets the typing detection. So pressing d after a pause basically tells 1Password to select the next item that begins with d.

I hope that explains things. Please feel free to reply if you have any questions.

Regards,
    Kevin

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member

I'm finding this behavior odd, too. Definitely not what I expect. If I'm in my list of logins (sorted by title) and want to quickly jump using the keyboard, let's say I hit "S" - I do go to the fist login item beginning with "S". How long do I have to wait before I can hit a letter and have it jump to a login item beginning with that letter, not try and figure out what I might want based on a 2nd letter.? It seems to go crazy and try and determine what I might want to jump to, even going to the first letter in URL's, login names, etc. I wish there was a way to change this setting and only go to the first letter (or 2 or 3 deep) of only the login item name.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @schwaggy,

Thanks for the feedback! I’m sorry that you find this a bit unexpected. As Kevin mentions, this behaviour is similar to what you’ll see in Finder. We try to follow system defaults whenever necessary so that our app doesn’t behave differently than what is expected by Mac users in general.

That being said, I’m happy to pass your thoughts along. :)

• schwaggy
    schwaggy
    Community Member

Thanks for the response @Megan but what I see in 1P isn't what I see in the Finder. Open your Applications folder and type a letter. You will be taken to apps beginning with that letter (or the next letter alphabetically if you don't have one beginning with that letter). Now immediately type another letter and bam! - highlighted is your app starting with that letter. No waiting, no confusion. In 1P, I have no idea how long I have to wait unless I want to be taken to a login name, or a URL, that happens to be close to my previous highlight but starts with the letter I type. I want only to have login item names be highlighted. Am I missing basic functionality or a setting somewhere because it seems very odd to me that I can't type an A, B C, (or a 2nd and 3rd letter in the name) etc. and be taken directly to only login item titles? Can I exclude URL's and login names from being acted on?

thanks

• Hi @schwaggy ,

I checked the Finder, and I'm afraid I do not see what you are seeing. For example, I have the apps Keynote, Sketch, Skype, and Zeplin in my Applications folder. If I type sky, it selects Sketch first, and then Skype when I type the y. It does not select Sketch, then Keynote, and then Zeplin. (I don't have an app beginning with Y).

Try this: open your Applications folder and type au at a normal typing pace - is the Automator app selected or the Utilities folder? For me, it's Automator.

I can and will pass your suggestion along, but in the meantime, just think of it as typing out the title of the item you want, rather than, for example, "SuperLogin the second item in the list beginning with S, so I want to type SS"

I hope this helps. Feel free to reply if you have further questions/concerns.

Cheers,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.