Why is my personal vault viewable by my whole family?

Options
nancy_gray
nancy_gray
Community Member

I have just set up my family plan. In addition to the personal and shared vaults, I created a vault for each of my children. Right now, all vaults, including my personal vault, are able to be viewed and edited by all members of the family. How to I make sure each child has access to their vaults and the shared vault only - and not all of my personal account info?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X Yosemite 10.10.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:personal vault open to all family members, not just me

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @nancy_gray,

Have you created separate accounts for each individual, such that they are logging in with their own unique Account Key and Master Password to your 1Password Families account? Looking at my records it appears you only have two accounts set up. Each individual should have their own:

1Password Teams Admin Guide: Getting Started - Inviting Your Team

If others have been logging in using your Master Password you may now want to change that.

Change or recover your Master Password

I hope that helps!

Ben

• nancy_gray
    nancy_gray
    Community Member
    Options

hmmm. The one son who has accepted my invitation to join used my master password in setting up his account. So that must be the issue! Should he simply change his master password to fix this? Or should I delete him and start over with a new invitation, and once he accepts, he would enter his own master password? Thanks for you help.

• Ben
    Ben
    edited July 2016
    Options

Hi @nancy_gray,

If he has his own account then he will have his own Personal vault (and will not have access to your Personal vault from his account).

Ideally the two of you would not use the same Master Password, but that would not affect which vaults he has access to. Are you certain he is logging in with his email address and Account Key when he is viewing your Personal vault? If you or he add a new item to the Personal vault, does it show up for the other?

Please let us know. :)

Ben

• nancy_gray
    nancy_gray
    Community Member
    Options

I invited him to join our family account. His account key is different than mine. He used his own email, but my master password.
    When he logs in, he sees my personal vault, the two vaults I set up for him and his brother, and the shared vault. It is an exact copy of what I see when I log in. He is essentially viewing my account. When I add something, he sees it, and vice versa. He has nothing that is "personal" for him alone. I see what he has entered into the vault I set up for him.

Should I just delete him and start over?

• nancy_gray
    nancy_gray
    Community Member
    Options

And if so, how do I avoid this happening again?

• nancy_gray
    nancy_gray
    Community Member
    Options

Just realized he scanned MY QR code to set up account. That's probably the issue - he is just using my account. How do we go back and fix this? Thanks.

• Ben
    Options

Just realized he scanned MY QR code to set up account.

Yep. That is the issue. :) He needs to scan his QR code.

he is just using my account

Exactly.

How do we go back and fix this?

Have him sign out of your account (on a Mac this is done under 1Password > Preferences > Accounts) and then sign into his instead. You'll also probably want to change your Master Password now that he knows it, and he may wish to change his as well. I included a link to instructions on doing that in my post above.

I hope that helps. Should you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to ask.

Ben

This discussion has been closed.