How do I get 1Password to open to a website's home page? Don't want to open at the login page.

cpmurphy
cpmurphy
Community Member

It's been a struggle to get 1Password to work as I had expected. Right now, I have the application securely logging me to several of my subscription news sites. In one case I'm being logged on by 1Password but I end up at the logged in at the site's 'login page'. I then have to navigate to the website's homepage. This is unacceptable but I don't see advice on how to change it.

Basically, I'm in trouble in here. I have not be able to fluidly login, create a secure password using 1Password, and fluidly login thereafter. If I cannot get the application to work as transparently as advertised, my wife is going to lose all patience and demand that I try another solution. Categorically, she needs to be able to click on a login and be taken to the home page of her account with a highly secure login or this is useless. Getting logged in and ending up at the desired site's login screen is not enough and is, in fact, confusing. I can't and won't ask my wife to navigate her way back to the site's home screen.

I desperately want to use 1Password on my significant accounts, indeed all accounts. But right now my wife is completely afraid that 1Password will introduce a strong password that it will then fail to recognize. She fears being locked out of our financial accounts and I haven't been able to show her a seamless demonstration of your protection. I gone through a learning process that has included creating logins that do nothing at all, creating logins that navigate to a login page but then do not login, creating logins that log in and stay at a login page, unintentionally creating multiple logins, and creating two logins that actually work. That is - they seem to go to a login page, securely log in, and then go to the home page of the website. That last one is the one I need and that is not what I am getting.

I believe I'm following your process. I log into my accounts entering my user name and password and save the login to 1Password. I log out of the site. I log back in and go to the Change Password screen. I copy the current password into the appropriate field. I go into the new password field and select Password Generator and adjust settings to something the site will accept. I generate a complex password and click the Fill button. I click the Submit button (or Change or...). I click on Update Existing in the 1PassWord Save Login window. For good measure, I select 'Save new Login' from the popout menu.

Well, I'm pretty discouraged at this point. I don't feel at all confident that in using 1Password I may be hosing important accounts and setting myself up for a world of hurt. I'm methodical. I like process. Maybe you can see something I'm doing wrong. But I need this protection and I need it fast. I have your standalone version on my iMac but I've been looking at Roboform and others because I get very tired of pulling teeth. Can you help? I'll answer whatever questions I can. Thanks. Fred

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: wifi
Referrer: forum-search:How do I get 1Password to open to a website's home page? Don't want to open at the login page.

Comments

• Hi @cpmurphy ,

I'm sorry this is causing issues and concerns, but allow me to do my best to allay them.

Fluidity of Login

1Password, and all password managers, including Roboform, automatically log you in, not by sending any special codes behind the scenes, but by doing what you do - entering the username and password and pressing the login button on the page. That's all they do to log you in. What happens after that login it up to the web site itself. 1Password, nor any password manager can not control what page is returned after clicking login.

For that site that is sending you to the login form, it sounds like something changed on the site since the time you saved the login item in 1Password. Sometimes web sites will change the names of their login pages, so you just need to update the web site URL in 1Password. When it sends you to that login page, copy the URL from the address bar. Then Edit the login item in 1Password and change the website address to that URL.

I should also note that there are two ways to have 1Password automatically fill. I could be wrong, but it sounds like you (or your wife) are first finding the item in 1Password and then clicking the URL to open the page in your web browser.

The other way to do this is to just navigate to the site in your web browser as you did before you started using 1Password. Then when you see a login page, if that login is stored in 1Password, you can simply select the site from the 1Password icon in the menu bar (or press Command \) to fill the login fields automatically. And if you don't have that site already stored in 1Password, it will offer to save it for you when you log in manually.

Locking out of accounts

1Password takes extra precautions to make sure you aren't locked out of your account. For example, let's say you logged into your bank account and 1Password asks you to save it, so you do. Now you go to the change password section of the bank's site and use 1Password to generate a new stronger password. After clicking Change Password, 1Password will ask you to Save or Update the item in 1Password.

At this point, what I do is make sure the bank site returns successfully before I click Save or Update. Then if the password is rejected, I can click Cancel so 1Password won't save it, and then generate a new password and repeat until the bank accepts the new password.

But let's say you accidentally clicked Save (or Update) already and the password is rejected by the bank site. The important part to remember here, is 1Password will alway keep a copy of the previously used password. So if it was rejected and you got logged out, you can still access your previous password. It is stored in the login item under the section "Previously Used Passwords." This way, you won't be locked out of your account.

The other scenario is if you generate a new password, change the bank site's password to that new one, and forget to save it. 1Password has you covered here too. As soon as a password is generated, 1Password automatically saves it. So if you forget to save it in a bank site login, 1Password still has a copy that you can access.

At AgileBits, we don't just want to generate strong passwords and keep them safe, but we also want to make sure our customers are protected from all sorts of scenarios. Security is meaningless if it isn't accessible, so we do our best to make it accessible, and thank our customers like yourself that highlight issues people face every day.

I hope that helps allay your concerns. Feel free to reply if you have further questions or comments.

Regards,
    Kevin

This discussion has been closed.