Lost master password: How do I use backup or vault so old master password works?

Jesse_the_K
Jesse_the_K
Community Member

I've forgotten my master password. I'm trying to follow the restore info in User Guide, the KB, the TCo1P book and here in support, but I haven't been able to drop back to the earlier master password.

1. Sunday I changed my master password but was unable to document fully. So today I can't remember it.
  2. Now I'm locked out of 1P on both Mac and iOS
  3. Based on your documentation articles, I should be able to restore from my Vault or from my Backup.
  4. From what I've read the Backup location is shown from within 1P. Cool, but without my Master PW I can't see it.
    so
  • Can you tell me where & how to find the file that uses my previous password?
  • Is it the Backup or the Vault?
  • Once I find the file, how do I force 1P to use it?

Here's what I've tried which didn't work. I fumbled around and found two files dated Saturday (pre-change of password)

~Library > Application Support > 1Password 4 > Backups > 1Password 2016-06-30 12_58_01 (1 profiles, 704 items, 4 folders, 5 attachments).1p4_zip

and

~Dropbox > Apps > 1Password > 1Password.agilekeychain

I tried to open these
a. using "open with" 1P in the Finder
and
b. Drag & dropping on the 1P app icon.

Alas, both times I was prompted for the new password I don't remember.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.4
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Hi @Jesse_the_K ,

I'm sorry you had trouble with your new password. To restore to a previous backup, to the following:

1. If you have moved those zip files from the Backups folder, please put them back.
    2. Launch 1Password.
    3. When the screen that asks for your Master Password appears, go to the File menu and choose Restore…. Choose the backup in the list dated just before your changed your Master Password and click Restore. (The Restore button will enable itself when you click on a backup in the list)
    4. 1Password will then quit. Relaunch and enter your old Master Password and it should let you in.

If you need any help with the above, please let us know.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• Jesse_the_K
    Jesse_the_K
    Community Member

That worked exactly as advertised. Thank you so much for your clear instructions, as well as the easy restore process.

UX meta thoughts: the barrier was my selective inattention (and assuming that restoration would require 1998-era shenanigans.) I've been responding to the "Enter password" prompt at least daily for five years. Yet I never noticed that the menu bar appears in that screen. I had no need to use it so I simply didn't see it. This shocks me.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Kevin, you're most welcome! I'm really glad to heat that helped you get things back up and running again.

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you have any questions or need more help with 1Password, just let us know. We're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.