1Password Mini Kills Mouse Clicks in Browser (Chrome)

commonmind
commonmind
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

When 1Password Mini is active, it intermittently removes the ability for me to use my mouse within the viewport of the browser. I have been dealing with this extremely frustrating issue for half-a-year and assumed it was some Chrome-related bug when I finally decided to start removing extensions and testing them one by one to find the culprit. 1Password Mini is the cause, unfortunately. This issue isn't isolated either, as I recommended the app to my CEO, who is also having issues. It's unfortunate, because we were considering making 1Password a requirement for all our employees as we work in the fintech space and have myriad vendor accounts we must access daily, but we cannot responsibly make that decision at this point in time.

Following is a video detailing the issue. Note: I wanted to add annotations, but I ran out of time -- the thing to keep in mind here is that if you see my cursor hovering over a field or button prior to disabling 1Password's browser extension, I am rigorously clicking my mouse in order to bring focus to the field or use the link -- as you can probably tell, I'm getting no response, which is an extremely frustrating problem. The bug is so reliable, I was able to reproduce it nearly on demand this morning before making this post.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/02l7c0hv9zulth8/1password-mini-issue.mp4?dl=0

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @commonmind ,

Sorry to hear that you're having problems with the browser extension in Chrome.
    I can understand your reluctance to recommend the app in your current situation, but I'm certain that the problem can be fixed.
    Do you have similar problems with other browsers?
    Did you try deleting the extension and then reinstalling it from the 1Password interface [1Password 6 menu / Install Browser Extensions]?

Does the problem persist, after reinstalling the extension?

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Hi @commonmind,

I'm sorry to hear you've been having trouble with 1Password and Chrome. It sounds like you possibly have run into an interaction between 1Password and Chrome's built-in password manager. Can you try disabling the Chrome password manager and see if you're still able to lose mouse clicks?

Rudy

• commonmind
    commonmind
    Community Member

Thanks for the assists guys. rjh, I'd already gone through the basic troubleshooting path and answered all those questions before posting, and unfortunately nothing helped. Rudy, I have disabled the password manager and will see if that corrects the issue. Hopefully that's the fix. I would be very happy if it were!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

We'll keep our fingers crossed for you! ;)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes and if the problem happens again once the Chrome password manager is disabled. :)

• zel777
    zel777
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue and have been for as long as I've had the 1password mini extension installed. I'm on Mac OS X El Capitan and the only way I can get my clicks to register again is to use my shortcut to show all windows, click on another open app, then show all windows and click back into Chrome... REALLLY hoping for a fix here since this is not a cheap paid application.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @zel777,

Sorry to hear you're also running into this problem! Have you seen Rudy's reply (above) which suggested disabling the Chrome password manager? Please let us know how it goes, thanks! :)

• zel777
    zel777
    Community Member

I'll give that a try for a little while, but I do have some passwords saved with the Chrome password manager for quicker use, and I'd like the option to use it and 1password without conflict.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @zel777

I hope this works well for you. I just want to comment that if you have 1Password and the extension installed, then it's much better for your security to not save your passwords directly on your browser. They are not encrypted or hidden in any way, and would make it much easier for your accounts to be compromised. 1Password browser extension is as quick as it can be, two clicks or Command + Backslash ( \ ). If there's anything else that we can do for you, let us know!

• zel777
    zel777
    Community Member

@Pilar - It seems to be working very well now without any issues so far.
    Thanks to @rudy for suggesting the solution.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Rudy, you're very welcome! Thanks for following up to confirm that solved the problem for you.

We're always glad to help, so please let us know if you need anything else. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.