Lost/Stolen Computer and need access to my 1Password account

Options
Tprest926
Tprest926
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Families

I understand that if I have a 1Password account, my data is automatically backed up and available online. I recently had my computer stolen and did not back it up on a third party service (Dropbox, iCloud, etc.) I believe. I am looking to upload 1PW to a new device now, however, it is asking for my account key and I currently do not know where this may be located.

If I obtain my account key, should I be able to log into 1PW with my master password and reclaim my 1PW data? If do, how to I receive my account key?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Ben
    Options

Hi @Tprest926,

I'm sorry to hear about your computer being stolen.

If you have a 1Password Families or 1Password Teams subscription (and thereby a 1Password account) then what you've said is true. If you do not, then you do not have a 1Password account. I looked, but did not find any 1Password accounts under your email address that you have registered here on the forums. If you think you might have a 1Password account registered under a different email address, please drop us an email to support@1password.com with a link to this thread ( https://discussions.agilebits.com/discussion/66543/lost-stolen-computer-and-need-access-to-my-1password-account#latest ) as well as the email address(es) you may have used.

If you do not have a 1Password account then your data is stored only on your device unless you set up syncing via Dropbox or iCloud.

If you do have a 1Password account, then you'll have an Emergency Kit, and that'll contain your Account Key. If you've lost your Emergency Kit unfortunately we cannot recover it for you:

Understanding the Account Key

Ben

• Tprest926
    Tprest926
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Ben,

I'm making one final attempt at this to see if I ever backed up the files to the cloud. I use iCloud so this kind of storage primarily, though I'm wondering if there is a default backup I can browse which might contain my 1pw data. Do you know if there is an automatic backup to iCloud, Dropbox, One Drive which might have been set up. If not, then I probably never went through the effort to back them up....

1.) Just checking if this automatically done some how!
    2.) What's a quick search I can do in finder for my, perhaps, backed up data files.

Best,
    Thomas

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Tprest926

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this trouble! You have a 1Password Account, is this correct? The default name of the emergency kit is something like: 1Password Emergency Kit A5-3QB4ND-name.pdf. Trying to find a PDF file including the words "1Password" or "Emergency Kit" might help you.

If you have backups, you can try looking for something that either looks like this (roughly): 1Password 2016-07-16 00_07_09 (2 profiles, 118 items, 1 folders, 2 attachments).1p4_zip

Or maybe like this too: 2BUA8C4S2C.com.agilebits

I hope this helps you recover your data, please let us know how this goes for you :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.