Selectively restoring

ehed
ehed
Community Member

So I've had a bit of trouble lately with Dropbox syncing, I don't really remember how it started but it seems like in my current state, I'm missing about 100 passwords. The trouble started around June 30, and I'm pretty sure most of the passwords I am missing would have been in my backups from around then. But I have also created a few new passwords since then (and changed some as well), so simply rolling back to a backup from 6/29 isn't necessarily an option.

Is there some way for me to open my old backups from 6/29 and browse them as a separate vault so I can tease out the lost passwords?

Thanks!

1Password Version: 6.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member

Actually it's kind of worse than that, I think the missing logins are being overwritten as "Unnamed"...

• rjh
    rjh
    Community Member

Hi @ehed ,
    That's a rather unusual problem you have there, but I'm sure that we can get it fixed.
    Do the items from your screenshot contain relevant data? I.E. can they be identified and do they work?

One thing you could do, until we can find a solution for your situation, is to create a secondary vault (under the 1Password menu) and copy your new passwords to it.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Cheers,
    Rob

● Disclaimer: Please note that I am not a member of the AgileBits team.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ehed

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. Do you remember if you did something different before the problem started? Maybe run a new antivirus or cleaner? Can you tell us some more details about the unnamed items? Is the data inside them correct? Do you see a pattern on which items were changed? If you consider this unnamed items, is there anything missing? This is an interesting issue, we'll get to the bottom of it soon!

I hope to hear back from you so we can help you restore your missing data :chuffed:

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member

Hey Pilar, hey rjh. Thanks for coming to the rescue!

The items from my screenshot do not contain any visible data, though they do appear to vaguely remember which type they were as per the icons.

They can not be identified beyond type, and they do not work.

I believe the problem started when I noticed that one of my three macs wasn't synching. I had recently (3-4 weeks earlier?) added my Work dropbox account to some of my Macs, which had the side effect of renaming my DB folder from "Dropbox" to "Dropbox (Personal)" (see https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/4235 for more info). This may be what caused the sync to stop working. I think then I attempted to correct the issue by disabling sync, and re-enabling Dropbox Sync and pointing to the correct vault file. Then I was prompted to "merge" by 1Password, which I allowed. I think this is where the issue may have started.

I don't have any antivirus or cleaner software.

My iMac is the one with the glut of Unnamed items; I opened my Macbook Air and for example, in the passport category, saw 4 valid passport records, but on my iMac, saw 3 valid and 1 "Unnamed". I was able to determine which file it was, and on my MBA, I made a small edit to that passport, and it synced over and replaced the Unnamed record with the valid data. This is an easy solution in cases like the Passport category where I have very few items but it is untenable for regular logins, of which I have 1200+

Right now there are about 3 dozen remaining "Unnamed" items.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ehed,

Thanks so much for the extra information! This is an issue that our developers were investigating a while back. We believe it should be resolved in version 6.3, but it looks like you’re still using version 6.1. Updating to the latest version of 1Password should ensure that this doesn’t happen again. For now though, we’d like to see a Diagnostics Report before we give you fix instructions:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com.

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks very much!

• ehed
    ehed
    Community Member

Thanks, megan. I'll have to run that diagnostic when I get home tonight, as that Mac is the one that has the Unnamed items still. Thanks again for your help.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @ehed,

No rush on our end - we’ll be here to help when you’re ready. :)

ref: BLR-24875-261

This discussion has been closed.