Importing from CSV created by iBackup from VenticentoStudio

WhiteAppleBee
WhiteAppleBee
Community Member

I was using iAccounts by VenticentoStudio until recently. I am in the middle of migrating to 1Password, but I am simply unsuccessful in importing the cvs file that was created by iBackup, the desktop solution of iAccounts, that generated the CSV. I have tried to do it with comma's and with semi colons, but that did not make any difference. I have also tried Mr. C's scripts, buit that didn't work either. I converted the CSV into Apple's numbers and in Textwrangler to get rid of the formatting, but even that didn't do me any good. So, I am stuck. The website logins seems to go ok, although I still have to examine that for errors. But the categories like Loyalty Cards or Customized Categories won't work. Also, importing seems only to be possible in either Logins, Creditcards, secret notes or Software License, is that correct ? Thank you for any advice. I am comfortable in posting fake lines of my CSV if that helps.
Ed

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (631006)
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016

Hi @WhiteAppleBee ,

Great moniker!

I'm not familiar with iAccounts, but you've given good indications about its CSV export formats, so let's go from there.

As you've noted, 1Password for Mac can import the categories of Logins, Software License, Credit Cards and Secure Notes. And each CSV file can only contain the entries of that specific category, and each must be specifically formatted according to the category formatting requirements mentioned in How to create a 1Password compatible CSV file.

So it appears your Logins are OK.

Since Loyalty Cards and your other customized categories aren't supported for CSV import, the only option using the Native 1Password CSV importer is to format the items as Secure Notes. And even with Secure Notes, you need to be sure you have the same number of columns. Secure Notes are formatted as CSV:

title,note

but you can also have extra fields, which get placed into Field/Value pairs in the notes area.

title,note,"my field 1",field2,"some other field"

For example, this CSV entry:

"my title","this is my note","my field 1",field2,"some other field"

when imported as a Secure Note, will look like:

My CSV converter only currently supports Logins, and Credit Cards. However, additional definitions can be added, but to do that, I'd need to know something about your CSV export. More on this later...

The CSV converter will also allow you to have custom fields, and those can either be placed in the notes section as field/value pairs, or as custom fields (using the --addfields option):

With the converter, you must label the columns, the first row being the column labels. The letter case of the labels and the order of the columns is unimportant.

If you're interested in getting some custom CSV entries added to the converter as a one-time for you, provide me a sample of the CSV entries for any category you're interested in, along with column labels. We can discuss what can be done.

Please be sure to use the 1.09 version on the converter, should you want to use it, in Testing Bits, mentioned in the first post if the converter suite .

• WhiteAppleBee
    WhiteAppleBee
    Community Member

Well, at least that provides me with the answer I was looking for. Basically I obviously have been encountering a limitation in the functionality of 1 Password, then. This applies only to a limited number of rows, so I probably prefer to have them placed manually in the appropriate categories rather than "abusing" secure notes for this purpose. It is a one time action anyway. I did not expect this and I certainly don't understand why the categories should be limited while importing, but there will probably be a good reason for this. I appreciate everyone's swift response and your knowledge, Mr. C.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator

Hi @WhiteAppleBee ,

There are several issues:

1. CSV really cannot handle mixed record types where column definitions vary, and most vendors who export massive tables in a single CSV create a non-standard CSV-hybrid that requires special knowledge to interpret.
    2. CSV cells are not well-defined semantically, and constructing a CSV-mapping UI is non-trivial.
    3. 1Password has specific, well-defined categories, and this is a legacy implementation that requires large product-wide changes to support customized categories.
    4. 1Password places certain semantics on various categories, and they are treated differently by the UI(s).

I wrote the CSV converter to accommodate customization, and its easy enough to do, but often not worth the effort until there are large numbers of records.

Enjoy 1Password!

• WhiteAppleBee
    WhiteAppleBee
    Community Member

Thank you @MrC for pointing this out. Makes sense.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad MrC was able to help out & explain how this works! He's quite an expert on this, so you're in good hands if you need more help or have additional questions about importing your data into 1Password.

We're here for you if you need anything else! :)

• WhiteAppleBee
    WhiteAppleBee
    Community Member

Thank you @Drew_AG

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

This discussion has been closed.