1Password isn’t promoting me for updates

douglas
douglas
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

There’s definitely something wrong with 1Password’s updater for me.

Last year, I didn’t notice for over a year that 1Password 5 was out. I happened to see it in a blog post or on Twitter or something and noticed that my version looked different.

For some reason, I was running 4.3, while I needed the last v4 (4.4.3) to see the the v5 update. I managed to update after manually clicking ‘Check Now’ in Preferences twice (4.3 > 4.3.3, then 4.4.3 > 5.4.1).

The same thing happened this year. I didn’t know 1Password 6 has been out for six months.

Checking for updates manually today, I found my 1Password was still at 5.4.1. Now checking for updates manually again (from 5.4.3), I can update to 6.3.1.

Thinking about it, I don’t recall seeing an automatic 1Password update prompt recently. It looks like automatically checking for updates isn’t working for me, even though it is checked at

1Password > Preferences > Updates > Automatically check for updates

Some other settings:

Always keep 1P mini running — yes
Show mini icon in menu bar — no
Updates include beta builds — no

1Password Version: 5.4.3
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5 (15F34)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

(Added info here, then edited post above instead. Don’t seem to be able to delete this.)

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @douglas

I'm sorry to hear that you're having some trouble with 1Password. When I first read your post it sounded like you didn't have the automatically check for updates enabled, if you do then the issue is more interesting. Do you have security software installed? I've seen cleaners and blockers interact in crazy ways so that might be one thing to check. I'd also recommend you to do something like unenable the "Automatic check for updates", close 1Password, and then check it back again, to see if it bumps it in the right direction (more often than not, turning things off and on again solves computer issues!)

One last question, is everything else in your computer updating properly?

I hope to hear back from you so we can get to the bottom of this weird issue1

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply Pilar.

Do you have security software installed?

I can’t think of anything installed that would interfere with other apps periodically checking for updates.

I'd also recommend you to do something like unenable the "Automatic check for updates", close 1Password, and then check it back again, to see if it bumps it in the right direction (more often than not, turning things off and on again solves computer issues!)

I just tried that, including quitting 1P mini. Let’s see if that does anything.

One last question, is everything else in your computer updating properly?

Yes, I have other apps checking for updates automatically, like Hazel and Acorn.

I’ve seen this problem on my other Mac too, which is set up similarly although not used very often.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

@douglas

That's really weird then, specially if the other computer is having the same issue. If you're feeling adventurous you could try to enable betas at least in one of the computers and see if you get those updates. It would also mean that you'd have to wait less time to find out if it worked or not. If you prefer to stay on the stable side of things, lets wait for the next release and see what happens then!

Please let me know what you decide and what you'd like to try. I hope you start getting update notifications soon! :chuffed:

• tofu4brains
    tofu4brains
    Community Member

My 1Password preferences does not have the option to Update.???

(v.4.4.2 purchased from App Store. Browser extension 4.5.7)

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @tofu4brains,

Apps that are downloaded from the Mac App Store are also updated through the Mac App Store, which is why you don't see an 'Update' option within 1Password. To check for pending updates, launch the Mac App Store and go to the Updates section (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password to see its updates there).

If you don't see any updates for 1Password in the Mac App Store, what version of Mac OS X are you using? If your Mac is running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 1Password 4 is the latest version available for you, because 1Password 5 and 6 require OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan).

Does that help? Please let us know if you have more questions about that. Cheers! :)

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

This problem is still happening on both my Macs, one of them with beta updates enabled. 1Password was still at version 6.3.1 and when I checked for updates manually I see there have been 16 beta updates that I was not notified about.

Is there any more information about my setup I could provide that would help you find the cause?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @douglas,

Sorry to hear this is still a problem!

This problem is still happening on both my Macs, one of them with beta updates enabled.

The 'Include beta builds' option - as well as the entire Updates tab in 1Password Preferences - only appears in the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac. But you previously said you were using the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Are you using the AgileBits Store version on one Mac and the Mac App Store version on the other Mac? To avoid confusion, please check which one you're using on each Mac by opening the main 1Password app and choosing the About 1Password option in the 1Password menu at the top of the screen. For each Mac, please let us know the current version number as well as if it's the AgileBits Store or Mac App Store version.

...when I checked for updates manually I see there have been 16 beta updates that I was not notified about.

Ok, so at least it sounds like it's able to find updates when you manually ask it to check. On that Mac, if you go to 1Password > Preferences > Updates, can you please confirm that the "Automatically check for updates" option is still enabled?

Now, on your other Mac where the Mac App Store version of 1Password is installed, I had previously asked the following:

To check for pending updates, launch the Mac App Store and go to the Updates section (make sure you're signed in with the same Apple ID you used to purchase 1Password to see its updates there).

If you don't see any updates for 1Password in the Mac App Store, what version of Mac OS X are you using? If your Mac is running OS X 10.9 (Mavericks) or 10.8 (Mountain Lion), 1Password 4 is the latest version available for you, because 1Password 5 and 6 require OS X 10.10 (Yosemite) or 10.11 (El Capitan).

If it's still a problem on that Mac, can you please let us know about that? Thanks! :)

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply @Drew_AG. It was tofu4brains using the MAS version. I’m using 6.3.2 from the Agile Bits Store on both my Macs. ‘Automatically check for updates’ is enabled.

• @douglas,

It sounds like you're possibly running into an issue that we're tracking as OPM-4134. Where if the update check gets scheduled for a time that you normally have the machine asleep or off, it doesn't attempt the check again when the machine wakes back up again.

Rudy

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Sorry for the mixup, @douglas! You're right, I accidentally thought the information from tofu4brains was from you. Guess I needed more coffee yesterday! :lol:

I'm glad Rudy recognized this as a known issue, and I apologize for the inconvenience. I don't have a timeframe for when to expect a fix for this, but in the meantime you can at least use the Check for Updates option in the main 1Password app occasionally to see if any updates are available. And in case it helps, you can also check the 1Password for Mac release notes to see the latest version.

If you have more questions about that or need anything else, please don't hesitate to let us know! :)

ref: OPM-4134

• douglas
    douglas
    Community Member
    edited March 2017

This turned out to be really simple: I had notifications disabled for 1Password in System Preferences > Notifications and I didn’t know 1P used notifications for updates.

Presumably I turned this off years ago because I couldn’t see any reason why a password manager would need to send me notifications. I don’t use any other apps that use notifications for updates. However I think this is a pretty good UX — just not what I expected.

This could perhaps be made clearer with some text in 1P Preferences next to the auto-update checkbox or something like that.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Ah, that would certainly explain why you weren't being notified about updates! Thank you for following up here to let us know about that, and thanks for the suggestion - maybe we can make this clearer in the future.

I'm really glad you were able to figure that out! We're here for you if you need anything else. :)

This discussion has been closed.