Syncing solution for Mac & Android without Dropbox

kgori
kgori
Community Member

I've been using 1Password on Mac and Android for 2-3 years, using Dropbox to sync the vault between the two. This all works fine, no problems, I'm happy with it. I am starting a new job, and will be expected to use a dedicated work-provided macbook, on which I am not permitted to install the Dropbox app. However, I am allowed to install 1Password. Is there a syncing solution that will allow me to share the same vault between my home mac, android, and my work mac that can't use Dropbox?

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kgori,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help with this! Sorry to hear you can't install Dropbox on your work Mac, as that would probably be the easiest option for you. But there are a couple other options:

If you sign up for a 1Password Families account, you can sign into that account in the 1Password app on each Mac and your Android device. Your data would be synced through our own secure servers instead of Dropbox. A Families account is a subscription service so there would be a recurring fee, but it allows you to use the 1Password app on all supported platforms for free (and that includes future upgrades). It also allows you to sign into your account from any web browser in order to access your data.

If you don't want to sign up for an account, another option would be to use the Wi-Fi sync option between your home Mac and Android device, and keep both Macs in sync with each other using the Folder sync option with another sync service. (Wi-Fi sync only works between a single Mac and one or more iOS/Android devices, which is why you would also need to use the Folder sync option.)

You can find more information about the different sync options here: Sync your 1Password data

Hopefully this helps, but if you have more questions about that, just let us know - we're here for you! :)

• kgori
    kgori
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Hi Drew,
    Signing up to 1Password Families looks like the easiest option.
    Kevin

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kgori,

Glad to hear you decided to try out a Families account! It's fairly easy to migrate your existing data to your new account, and we have a great guide on how to do that here: How to migrate to a family or team

I don't think you'll run into any problems, but if for some reason you do, or if you have any questions about that process, just let us know! :)

• kgori
    kgori
    Community Member

Thanks a lot, Drew. I followed the migration guide you linked to and it seems to have worked.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! Thanks for letting us know it all went well. You should be all set, but if you have more questions or run into any trouble, you know where to find us. ;)

This discussion has been closed.