Standalone to team/family: pricing and migration

Options
johnulricseng
johnulricseng
Community Member

Hello,

I began by buying the standalone 1Password on May 19, 2016. I then downloaded the app on my iPhone, and went to https://1password.com/teams/ on my computer, where I entered my email address and clicked 'sign up for free'. At no point was I notified that I would later be charged. Today I was notified that my team account will be frozen in two days if I don't sign up for a paid subscription. This all seems unfair seeing as I just purchased a standalone license, even though it appears possible to obtain a team (or family) license without buying the standalone app.

Am I missing something? If I hadn't bought the standalone version would I have been relegated to browser-only use of your service? If not, how can I obtain a refund for the standalone version?

Many thanks,
John Seng

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• chesterhull
    chesterhull
    Community Member
    Options

I came to this support forum with this exact same scenario and question! It seems there should be some sort of migration path from "paid software" to "subscription model", especially since the "upgrades" have removed the ability to securely share passwords via outside methods. (that was my work-around for sharing before the "family" plan came out!)

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @johnulricseng,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry for the confusion.

1Password Families and 1Password Teams are paid subscription services. However, each one offers a free 30-day trial.

The main differences between a 1Password single version license and a subscription are outlined on the 1Password Families pricing (https://1password.com/pricing/) page:

But I am happy to break it down in a bit more detail. :)

1Password Single Version License

Lots of people simply want to buy an app once and start using it. We totally get that. And that's why we have no plans to stop providing the 1Password apps for individual purchase. We're going to keep supporting anyone who chooses to use the apps that way, and the individual apps will continue to see new features and developments provided in free updates.
    If you purchase a 1Password single version license:

• Get updates for the version your purchased. For example, if you buy now, you’ll get all updates to 1Password 6 for Mac. 1Password 7 for Mac will require a separate purchase.
    • Pro features on mobile devices available as a separate purchase.
    • Sync your data yourself. Use iCloud, Dropbox, or Wi-Fi on your local network.

And you’ll get helpful, one-on-one support from us. :)

1Password Families and 1Password Teams

For families and companies, it's often easier to manage a single subscription than it is to keep track of individual licenses across different platforms and version upgrades. The subscription model also allows us to build in features and services that wouldn't be feasible in the standalone apps, like central hosting and vault management.
    If you have a family or team subscription:

• Get all the 1Password apps for free. No matter which plan you choose, every member of your family or team always has free access to the latest versions of all the 1Password apps. Learn more about all the features included with 1Password Families (https://1password.com/families/) and 1Password Teams (https://1password.com/teams/).
    • Share and sync without the need of a third-party sync service. Setting up syncing with Dropbox can be confusing for some folks. With 1Password Families and 1Password Teams, you sign in and all your data is there.
    • New vaults automatically show up for family and team members. When you create a new vault, you can add people to it automatically. They don’t need to do anything to see it and begin using it on their end.
    • Set permissions for each person on each vault. Some passwords can be set to read-only, for example.
    • Recover accounts if your family or team members forget their Master Passwords. This is a huge one. We have always prided ourselves on our security model which has no back door. While we still can’t recover anyone’s accounts, you can now recover accounts for your family or team.
    • View, edit, and add items from any browser. You’ll always have access to your data on 1Password.com (http://1Password.com), even if you are away from your main devices.
    • Access your data even if you stop paying. Your data is yours. Even if you ever cancel your subscription, you can always get your data out.

And, as always, you’ll get helpful, one-on-one support from us. :)

If you've decided to go with one of the subscription services, you do not need a standalone license. I've sent you an email with further details, so we can get things resolved for you.

ref: UBB-94649-813

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @chesterhull,

I'm sorry you're having some trouble as well.

The old-style sharing where you just sent a link to someone was never secure. That was why it was removed. We tried to make that as clear as possible, but the fact that you thought it was secure means that we didn't do a god enough job of that. We brought back the feature in 1Password 6.3.1 for Mac (the current version), but there is now a very clear warning of what has always been true:

Again, that is only for the old-style sharing (without a family or team account). Family and team account sharing is inherently secure.

Please see my post above for details on the differences between a single version license and 1Password Families and 1Password Teams.

If you do want to go with a family or team account, you can migrate like this:

How to migrate to a family or team

If you have any other questions, please let me know. :)

• Eilish
    Eilish
    Community Member
    Options

Hi I sent you an email but haven't had a response so I'm trying here. y issue to similar to the one above. I bought 1Password from agile bits ($43.99) then went to put it on my phone and it charged me for the licence again ($34.99Itunes) and then another extension charge ($12.99 iTunes). I did email about this at the time but not nowhere. I have 4 'issues' questions. 1. Why did the above happen? 2. Can you refund if this is not what should have happened? 3. I have never been able to sync mac and my mobile devices (iPhones and iPad). Please help 4. I have just hired a VA and want to give her access to some (but not all) accounts. Do I need to purchase the monthly sub or can I upgrade to give her access? I would really appreciate if this could be resolved in the next 18 hours as it is holding up my VA's work (not your problem I know:-) The query number I sent via email is [#YJG-63756-729] Please and thank you eilish

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hi @Eilish

We have received your email and we'll continue the conversation over there. You'll hear from us over email in a moment. :chuffed:

ref: YJG-63756-729

This discussion has been closed.