When I try to open 1Password I get a message that says "Password is damaged and cannot be opened.

Creswell
Creswell
Community Member

I bought a new computer and the data from my old computer was transferred. I have not been able to use 1Password on the new computer because of the message above which continues to say to delete 1Password and download a new copy from the App Store. I can open 1Password mini on my old computer and all my passwords are still there. But when I try to open the full application on the old computer I get the same message.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:When I try to open 1Password I get a message that says "Password is damaged and cannot be opened.

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Creswell,

I'm sorry you're unable to open the 1Password app on your new Mac! We'll help you solve this one way or another.

From your description, it sounds like you're getting an error message similar to the one here: Mac App Store: App damaged / prompted for Apple ID

You're probably getting the error for a different reason than the one from that post, but the solution should be the same - just follow the steps there to solve it. If those suggestions don't help and you still get the same error, you'll need to delete the 1Password app and reinstall it from the Mac App Store. But don't worry, your data is safe! Even if you need to delete & reinstall the 1Password app, you won't lose any of your data because that's stored in another location on your Mac (plus you have it all on your old Mac). When deleting the app, just make sure you don't use any app cleaning tools.

Please let us know how it goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks!

• Creswell
    Creswell
    Community Member

Thank you very much! I was able to reinstall the app and all my passwords were retained. Whew! That was quite a scare. I really appreciate your help.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Creswell

On behalf of Drew, you're very welcome! I'm glad it all stayed as only a scare and that 1Password is up and running now! If there's anything else that we can help you with, we're her for you! :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.