Buying the app via Mac App Store

bonjurkes
bonjurkes
Community Member

I would like to ask, if there is any difference of buying 1Password via Mac App Store or via your website. Will I still get a license key that I can use for upgrading your software in the future and can I also download Windows app via your website and still use Pro features without having to pay something extra? Am I going to be a regular customer just like bought the app via your website or will I face any problems in the future? (Like because you bought the app via Mac App Store this is unavailable for you etc.)

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: kb:undefined, kb-search:app store

Comments

• blazermatt
    blazermatt
    Community Member

I have it on my mac that i purchased from the mac app store, and I cant find anywhere where it gives me a serial number for my install. I'm curious to know if i would need to buy it a second time to use it on my PC as well.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bonjurkes ,

Will I still get a license key that I can use for upgrading your software in the future

When you purchase a license for 1Password, you are purchasing a license for the current version. You will receive all in-version updates for free. At this time, I have no information on what the next major version of 1Password will be or if it will require a paid upgrade. But this license will not expire, so if you choose not to upgrade you can continue to use the version you purchased for as long as you wish.

can I also download Windows app via your website

When you purchase 1Password from the AgileBits Store, the license details you receive will include a license for the desktop version of 1Password for Windows. We are unable to automatically include this license information when you purchase from the Mac App Store, but you are welcome to email in to our team at support+licenses@agilebits.com with your receipt from the Mac App Store, we’d be happy to provide you with a license for 1Password for Windows.

and still use Pro features without having to pay something extra?

At this time, a license for 1Password includes the desktop versions of the software. Because the Pro features for iOS and Android are In-App Purchases, they must be obtained separately.

We do have an alternative way to use 1Password however. Have you heard of the 1Password accounts available through 1Password Families and 1Password for Teams? When you sign up for a 1Password account, your subscription fee includes licenses for all the apps, including the Pro features of the mobile versions, including major upgrades. As long as your subscription is active, you’ll always be using the latest and greatest version of 1Password.

Am I going to be a regular customer just like bought the app via your website or will I face any problems in the future? (Like because you bought the app via Mac App Store this is unavailable for you etc.)

No matter how you choose to purchase 1Password, our team is here to help you with whatever questions that you have. We wouldn’t have the app available for sale in the Mac App Store if it was considered ‘less’ than the app available from our website. Both apps receive the same updates, the difference is simply in the way that you receive them.

I hope this helps, but if there are any other questions, please let us know!

• bonjurkes
    bonjurkes
    Community Member

Thank you for the answer @Megan, what I meant about the paid upgrade is, whenever a paid upgrade will happen in the future and if I want to upgrade to next version, your store site asks for my License Code.

My question is, will I get any License Code if I buy your app via Mac App Store, to use it in the future for buying paid upgrades.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bonjurkes,

Thanks so much for clarifying!

You will not get a ‘license code’ if you purchase from the Mac App Store - all licence information for Mac App Store apps are tied to the Apple ID you used to make the purchase - but this doesn’t mean that you won’t be able to upgrade your copy of 1Password. You can always upgrade through the Mac App Store. It is important to note that the Mac App Store doesn’t currently have a policy for discounted upgrades for existing users, so if you do anticipate wanting to upgrade, you might want to purchase from the AgileBits Store, as we’re able to provide discounts to loyal users there. Of course, I can’t promise anything with respect to future upgrades, but it is something to keep in mind. :)

This discussion has been closed.