Do you keep 1P locked on your desktop computer?

switters
switters
Community Member

For as long as I've been using 1P I've kept it locked even on my iMac at home. Lately I've been thinking of unlocking it so I don't have to enter my master password 6-8 times a day. No one else uses my computer, so I guess the only risk would be if someone breaks into our house while we are gone. However, I have File Vault turned on and so even if the computer was stolen, they'd need to break that password and the encryption of the hard drive.

What do you think?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @switters,

Of course, you’re the only one who can decide what level of security is right for you, but I’ll let you know how I have things set up, as an example.

Here are the settings for my work laptop:

Because I’m using my computer nearly all day, the 5 minute lock ensures that I can access 1Password whenever I need it, without having to type my Master Password frequently. My favourite setting though is the ‘lock when screensaver is activated’. I have a hot corner set up to activate my screensaver, so whenever I need to step away from my computer I just need to flick the mouse into the top corner of my screen. My screensaver will turn on, locking my laptop, and 1Password as well.

I’ve got an iMac at home, just like you, and my lock settings there are a bit more lenient. I can’t recall quite what my lock timeout is set to there, but again I make use of the ‘lock when screensaver is activated’ option. I figure if I’m away from my computer long enough that the screensaver is activated, I want 1Password locked.

We’ve tried to ensure that 1Password’s lock settings are flexible and allow you find the right balance between convenience and security. I hope that my suggestion about the screensaver helps you, but if you have any other questions, we’re here to help!

This discussion has been closed.