Data AWOL

grant_liddell
grant_liddell
Community Member

I had to restore my iPhone 6 yesterday. Doing this revealed a problem that has lain undiscovered for months.
My data has gone missing from my laptop. It has not been there for some time. All visible backups contain only two passwords and not the hundreds of items of different categories that there should be.
I mainly use 1Password on my phone. That's worked fine until the restore to new yesterday which, of course, meant that the phone had no data. When I went to sync it with the laptop the problem was revealed in all its ugliness.
Has anyone any ideas on how to start with this problem? I back up to my laptop and to a TimeCapsule, not to iCloud. I have checked for the data on the time machine - not there.

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grant_liddell: If the data isn't in your oldest Time Machine Backups, that means it's been gone for a long time. Very strange. That means we'll likely never really know what happened on your Mac, but there are some possibilities that may offer some hope:

• You may simply have a vault database in another location on your Mac.
    • You may have the data sync'd or backed up to another device.
    • Given how little information we have to go on, there may be others...

Unfortunately without some basic information it's hard to say for certain. Please tell me all OS, 1Password, and device versions you're using so we can figure out the best plan of action. The best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to see if there's a vault or a backup somewhere you've overlooked:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this discussion for reference. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• grant_liddell
    grant_liddell
    Community Member

My apologies for omitting so much basic information! I'll get it and post it soon. Many thanks for help so far!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grant_liddell: No need to apologize! We just need to make sure we've got all the "facts" so we can use them to come up with a solid plan. Making assumptions may get us into more trouble rather than get you out of it. Let me know what you find. We'll get this sorted out for you! :)

• grant_liddell
    grant_liddell
    Community Member

I may be able to shortcut this exercise as I have discovered an agile its keychain file in Dropbox, which appears to contain the missing data. Assuming that it does, I would still appreciate assistance why the sync to the laptop is no longer working and what can be done to fix it. I will supply version and OS details later today.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@grant_liddell: Sounds good! But keep in mind that the "why" doesn't matter in this case, since you really just want it to sync. Whether your Dropbox account is disconnected, the app needs updating, sync is disabled in 1Password, you have it syncing with a different vault (which sounds to be the case), or something similar, setting up everything properly so that it syncs the way you want it to will resolve it. You can follow these steps in this guide to verify your Dropbox setup and make sure that everything is in place:

Dropbox troubleshooting

My concern was that you didn't seem to know where your data was, but if you've found it, that's a huge deal. After that, things are definitely looking up, so I'm confident that we'll be able to sort out another details along the way as needed. :)

This discussion has been closed.