Lets imagine Mac and iPhone are stolen?

mac1
mac1
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

I have have installed 1Password on my devices: Mac and iPhone.
Lets imagine that iPhone and Mac is killed/ stolen / or otherwise disappears. Question: how to protect now my data?
The only way that comes to mind is to copy the file from my Mac file 1Password 2016-07-09 20_28_02 (X profiles, XYZ items, With folders, attachments XY) .1p4_zip on the pen drive and hide in a safe place.
Of course, I exclude archiving in the cloud like Dropbox. iPhone communicates with the Mac via WiFi, and only this way to sync 1Password is possible.
What do you think about this solution and reasoning, if the devices are lost?
Is copying the above file and perform regular backups is a good idea in the situation described?

1Password Version: 6.3.1.
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: WiFi

Comments

• fourwheelcycle
    fourwheelcycle
    Community Member

mac1,

I expect an AgileBits staff member or a community moderator will give you a definitive answer.

If you do regular double backups of your Mac, e.g., once to desktop backup drive and once to a portable backup drive that you keep in a safe location, then you should have two available backups at all times that contain copies of your Mac's 1P backups. In my case, Time Machine does a backup to my desktop hard drive every hour and I do a manual, bootable backup every few weeks to a portable hard drive that I keep in a fireproof safe.

If you want to copy something to a flash drive that you keep in a safe location, you could just plug a thumb drive into your Mac once each week, set your Mac's Sync preference to the thumb drive for one Sync cycle, then change your Sync preference back to None. That way you would always have a fairly current OPVault on the thumb drive that you could sync to with a new 1P installation on a replacement Mac.

• Hi @mac1,

fourwheelcycle said it perfectly. In this context 1Password data is not different than any other important data on your computer. Keep regular backups and you should be ok. The suggestion of a Time Machine and a bootable backup that is stored securely is a great idea.

Regarding storing on Dropbox - so long as you have a strong Master Password, you should not have any concerns syncing your vault on Dropbox. Your opvault (the sync file produced on Dropbox when syncing) is encrypted with your Master Password, so even if it was accessed, only you can decrypt it. Of course, that decision is up to you.

Regards,
    Kevin

• mac1
    mac1
    Community Member

Gentlemen, thank you very much for a clear and precise answer.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of fourwheelcycle and Kevin, you're very welcome! I'm glad their information was helpful for you. I certainly hope your Mac and iPhone aren't stolen (and especially not at the same time) but it's a great idea to be prepared in case something like that happens. As they say: better safe than sorry! :)

If you need anything else, please let us know. Cheers!

This discussion has been closed.