vaults not syncing between family accounts

stuwill
stuwill
Community Member

I have been using 1password for years, syncing between my phone, mac and windows machines perfectly using dropbox. I recently installed 1password 6 on my new macbook and from what I can tell I have signed up for a 'family' account instead of just sticking with what I already had. So in the preferences tab in the new installation there is no 'sync' tab where I can select my dropbox keychain file. I tried uninstalling the 1password app and reinstalling but the same problem occurred. After exploring as many options as I could think of it appeared that I needed to now use the family account. So I went to my old macbook and added the new 'family' account. The old macbook now shows the vaults from my family account as well as the old vaults I was using, however the new mac only shows the new family vaults, but not the old vaults and I can't figure out how to get the old vault to sync to the new mac.

My ideal solution for this problem would be to go back to how I was working before, simply syncing my dropbox keychain file between computers. How do I do this?

And if for some reason this isn't possible, why would I see different vaults available on 2 different computers when I am signed in to the same family account? How do I fix this?

I am using El Capitan on both macs. Both updated to latest version of 1Password 6.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: dropbox

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuwill

I'm so sorry for the confusion with 1Password and the different ways in which it works, it can be tricky! 1Password Families is a hosted service that lets you have your data available in every device with very little effort. The problem that you're experiencing is that you have not migrated your data from your local vaults into your account. If you want to explore this option, let me know and I'll help you out! It seems like you'd like this better:

My ideal solution for this problem would be to go back to how I was working before, simply syncing my dropbox keychain file between computers. How do I do this?

You can definitely go back to this solution if you prefer it! To be able to see the Sync option, the first thing that you have to do is go to Preferences in 1Password and then to Advanced. Then enable the last option "Allow creation of vaults outside of 1Password accounts". If you have added items to your family account, move or copy them into your primary vault. You can do this easily by selecting all your items in Personal (Command + A), right click on any of them, then Share, Primary and Move. Once all your items are in your Primary vault you can go ahead and set up Syncing as you always have!

You can also remove your account from your devices by going to Preferences then Accounts and Sign out. Everything should be back to normal after this!

Please let us know if you try this, and if everything goes well and works as it always have for you! :chuffed:

• stuwill
    stuwill
    Community Member

Thank you!! I would also like to know how to migrate the data from my local vault into my account as you suggested.

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @stuwill

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in giving a chance to 1Password Families, it's an amazing option!

The short answer is that you have to go to your old computer, and follow the exact same steps I mentioned before but instead of going from Personal to Primary vault, you move everything on Primary to Personal. The detailed information on how to migrate all your data can be found here: https://support.1password.com/teams-families-migrate/

I think you'll enjoy the benefits and perks of 1Password Families if you try it out! If you have any other questions, please don't hesitate to ask :chuffed:

This discussion has been closed.