Why does 1Password keep popping up when I don't need it?

emmgee
emmgee
Community Member

When I check in on the United Airlines web site, it takes me through several steps. You're shown your flight details first. Then you proceed through steps where you agree to their policies about hazardous materials, whether you'll check a bag, etc. I'm guessing it's 5-6 pages. Along the way, 1Password pops up several times asking if I want to unlock 1Password. I close the window each time because I don't need 1Password.

The United website lets me check in using my MileagePlus account. I sign into that account and it will initiate the check-in process since it knows what my flight number is. When I sign into the account, I use the cached username/password that Chrome has saved, so therefore I don't need 1Password to do this. I can understand if 1Password wakes up at the login point but I can't understand why it keeps waking up after that. This happens on other web sites but I don't remember which ones at the moment.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud

Comments

• Hi @emmgee ,

Sorry for the inconvenience this is causing, but I do have a solution for you. 1Password is popping up to ask you if you want to save the login since you haven't saved it in 1Password. If you don't want it to ask for a specific site (e.g. United Airlines), you can open the 1Password app, go to the Preferences, click on Browsers, and add united.com to the exclusion list there. After that, it will stop asking.

Though, I am curious. Is there a reason you store those login credentials in Chrome, rather than in 1Password?

Cheers,
    Kevin

• emmgee
    emmgee
    Community Member

I do have the United MileagePlus login details in 1Password. I'm guessing that 1Password would do the trick if I went directly to the MileagePlus web site. However this is the general United web site. Maybe if I saved the login in this context it wouldn't ask me anymore.

As for why not use 1Password – My Mac requires me to enter a password to access it. So I'm not worried that if I left my Mac somewhere that someone could use it to access the web. So why not let Chrome cache passwords where it can? Some web sites (e.g., my bank) don't let the browser cache passwords. 1Password is great for that.

I find 1Password to be only semi-smart. Unless you are going directly to www.webpage.com it can get confused.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@emmgee: Well, to be honest, depending on the form, if there are "password" or "username" fields present, 1Password may offer to save those anyway. 1Password is very capable, but it's impossible for it to account for every website behaviour out there. Like any software, it's programmed by humans, and the humans haven't see the whole of the internet. Not even Google has, as new sites pop up all the time. But these same humans are here to help, so if you're encountering issues at certain URLs, please pass them along so 1Password can be improved for everyone going forward!

As far as browser password "saving", that is partly up to the website (cookies) and partly up to you, the user (electing to store it in the browser). Neither is something I'd recommend (or do myself) since this gives anyone who gains access to the browser access to these accounts, but ultimately we each need to decide for ourselves what risks are acceptable.

And getting back to your original issue, if you're using the same login credentials at multiple sites (same company, different address, for example), you can save multiple URLs in the login itself to simplify things. I hope this helps! :)

• emmgee
    emmgee
    Community Member

I've used PCs and Macs for a gazillion years and I'm savvy enough to navigate through the complexity of the web and other apps without any heartburn most of the time. The behavior on the United web site didn't make sense to me, hence my question. Next time I go through that workflow I'll pay more attention and report back if I think it would help you (and me).

Regarding browser password "saving", I think it comes down to assessment of risk vs. effort. For example I visit CNET regularly and I will contribute to comments from time to time. To do that, you have to be logged in. I can't imagine logging into CNET "manually" (i.e., with 1Password) each time I visit. I am happy to use 1Password when I log into my bank account or credit card accounts.

I do trust my password protection when I turn on my Mac or it wakes up from sleep.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for the feedback, @emmgee! If you have more questions about that or need anything else, just let us know - we're always happy to help. :)

This discussion has been closed.