Remove my company's 1Password license to use mine instead

DaveGomez
DaveGomez
Community Member

I bought a new Windows computer and I want to use my AppStore 1Password license on it following the steps described in this post https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/.

My problem is that I just got into a new company that uses 1Password as well for their employees and buy a OS X license for each of their computers and the 1Password 6 application was pre-installed with the company license, and no matter what I do, I can't get the company license removed from the OS so the application get my AppStore license so I can successfully use it in my new Windows machine as well as in the company laptop (which I'm allowed to use with my license).

Thank you in advanced for any help you can provide.

1Password Version: 6.3.1 (631006)
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5 (15F34)
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

Hi @DaveGomez,

Thanks for reaching out to us for help! I'm happy to hear you'd also like to use 1Password for Windows.

I bought a new Windows computer and I want to use my AppStore 1Password license on it following the steps described in this post https://support.1password.com/switch-from-mac-app-store/.

The steps in that article only apply to the Mac versions of 1Password and have nothing to do with the Windows version. The way it works is that if you install the AgileBits Store version of 1Password for Mac, it will check to see if you've ever installed the Mac App Store version on that same Mac - if so, it will automatically activate itself. That's not possible in the Windows version of 1Password because the Mac App Store version of 1Password for Mac cannot be installed on Windows.

...I just got into a new company that uses 1Password as well for their employees and buy a OS X license for each of their computers and the 1Password 6 application was pre-installed with the company license...

Awesome, that's what we like to hear! :)

...no matter what I do, I can't get the company license removed from the OS so the application get my AppStore license so I can successfully use it in my new Windows machine as well as in the company laptop (which I'm allowed to use with my license).

The license you're currently using on that Mac has nothing to do with the Windows version of 1Password. You don't need to switch licenses on your work Mac - your data isn't tied to the license, and a license for the Mac version has nothing to do with a license for the Windows version. Does the company you work for also provide a 1Password for Windows license to their employees?

In order to activate 1Password on a Windows PC, you'll need a license for the Windows version of 1Password. If your company only gives you a license for the Mac version and not the Windows version, we can help you to get a 1Password for Windows license. Just send an email to support+licenses@agilebits.com and include your email receipt from your purchase of the Mac App Store version of 1Password. Once we receive that, our support team will reply to let you know your options.

Sorry for any confusion about how the licenses work, but hopefully this helps to clear it up! :)

This discussion has been closed.