1pif import error

RazerM
RazerM
Community Member

I exported data from 1Password on Windows at work (not the new version, I think it's 1Password 4?) to 1pif format and brought it home (securely) to import into 1Password for OS X.

I have attached a screenshot of the error.

The 1pif looks valid in a text editor. The first line is JSON, followed by what looks like a UUID, then repeats from there.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: 1Password for Families

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@RazerM: I'm not sure how far we can get with this since you obviously wouldn't want to provide the 1PIF, but if you can tell us the exact version numbers where you're exporting (Windows and 1Password), that may help us track it down.

But more importantly, for your issue, it seems like the solution would be to simply give 1Password for Mac your original OPVault or AgileKeychain vault from your PC — much easier and more secure than plaintext export. Let me know what you find. I look forward to hearing back from you! :)

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016

Hi @RazerM ,

Perhaps we can also get some more info. If you can open Terminal.app, and run the following command, its output might be useful:

/usr/bin/file ~/Desktop/your.1pif

The above command assumes the 1PIF is on your Desktop and is named your. Please adjust the path accordingly. You can drag and drop your 1PIF file onto the terminal window and it will fill the path for you.

The output should look like:

...foobar.1pif: UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) English text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

but please copy and paste the output. I'm wondering if your transfer method might have transcoded the file in some way.

It appears your data is being read line-for-line, so that's a good sign. But there appears to be something within the JSON entry that is thwarting the importer.

Another test you could run to verify that the JSON is valid is the following terminal command:

head -1 ~/Desktop/your.1pif | /usr/bin/json_pp

It will pretty print the JSON, and produce an error it the entry is not JSON.

• RazerM
    RazerM
    Community Member

@MrC The output from file looks correct:

UTF-8 Unicode (with BOM) English text, with very long lines, with CRLF line terminators

and the json_pp command didn't work until I stripped the BOM (temporarily).

@brenty You're right, I should just bring the OPVault home. I'll try that next.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited July 2016

@RazerM,

Ok, nothing seems to be wrong there. It would be worth helping AgileBits discover the issue, since 1PIF is supposed to be transportable. Can you narrow the export to a single entry and reproduce the issue? If so, you may then be able to obfuscate the password (and reproduce the error) and provide AgileBits with that 1PIF.

Also, as per @brenty 's request, which versions are you using, exactly? I had no issues when exporting a Windows (latest 4 beta) 1PIF of 400+ entries and importing into 1Password for OS X (latest 6.5 beta). I'm not using OPVault so that could be the issue.

• RazerM
    RazerM
    Community Member

@MrC I'm willing to help find the bug (or not, if the problem is me ;) ). When I get the opvault I'll also note down the version number. It's on Windows 7 64-bit.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

@RazerM, hopefully things work out much better with the OPVault than with the export/import! If you're able to narrow down the cause of the problem in the .1pif as MrC suggested, that may indeed be very helpful for us. But if you're unable to do that, no worries! We just want to make sure you're able to get things working in 1Password on your Mac. :)

Looking forward to hearing how it goes!

This discussion has been closed.