Merge data for 2 OSX users

bodudek
bodudek
Community Member

Hi

On my MacBook running OSX I have 2 users - 1 for work and 1 for private stuff. That also means, that I am using 1Password with two separate storages for passwords but now after a few years I find it convenient to have the same 1Password data accessible across the 2 OSX users.

1) Is it possible to export the 1Password data from 1 OSX user and into a new vault on the other OSX user?
2) Is it possible to use the same 1Password data for both OSX users?

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@bodudek: The answer, of course, is Dropbox. ;)

Now, that may seem like "overkill", but considering the alternatives, this is the best approach:

• Export/import involves plain text which will need to be destroyed.
    • Sharing between two user accounts is possible, but will result in permissions issues.

Using Dropbox avoids these pitfalls and brings with it a few other benefits:

• Merging the existing data cleanly at the outset.
    • Keeping the data in sync automatically without intervention.
    • Allowing you to sync your 1Password data with other devices/platforms if needed.

And additionally, while you didn't mention it explicitly, it sounds like you may actually want to maintain two vaults for "work" and "private" instead of merging the data. Dropbox will also allow you to sync both (and others, if you wish). I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions! :)

This discussion has been closed.