Why do I keep seeing "Connecting to 1PW Mini"?

pentool
pentool
Community Member

Hello,

Recently - for some reason - I started to see a little dialog window pop up when I start 1WP, saying "Connecting to 1Password mini..." This takes a couple of seconds until it goes away, during which the beachball cursor is showing. This makes startup takes longer than I have patience for.

I am not using 1PW mini, I have never used 1PW mini, and I don't have it enabled. I don't have any browser extensions installed and I have never installed any browser extensions in the past for 1PW. The only reason I find this annoying is because now starting up the app could take over 5 seconds.

I have no clue why this started to happening. Any idea how can I make this go away?

Thanks

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: N/A
OS Version: 10.10.5
Sync Type: folder
Referrer: forum-search:connecting to 1password mini

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pentool,

I'm sorry you're running into a delay when opening 1Password! We'll do our best to help you figure this out.

I am not using 1PW mini, I have never used 1PW mini, and I don't have it enabled. I don't have any browser extensions installed and I have never installed any browser extensions in the past for 1PW.

Just to be clear, 1Password mini is an integral part of 1Password even if you don't use the browser extension, and even if you've disabled the option for Always keep 1Password mini running. That option simply dictates whether or not mini runs in the background when the main app is closed. Regardless of that setting, 1Password mini always runs when the main 1Password app is open, which is why it needs to connect to it (1Password mini is basically the "brains" behind the main app, so if it can't connect, it won't work at all).

I started to see a little dialog window pop up when I start 1WP, saying "Connecting to 1Password mini..." This takes a couple of seconds until it goes away, during which the beachball cursor is showing.

To make sure I understand, once that window goes away and the app starts, are you asked to unlock it with your master password? Once unlocked, does 1Password work correctly until the next time you close & reopen it?

Also, can you please try these steps to see if they make any difference:

• Open & unlock the 1Password app on your Mac.
    • While holding the control key on your keyboard, go to the 1Password menu and select "Quit 1Password and 1Password mini".
    • Restart your Mac.
    • After it restarts, open the 1Password app again.

Does that help at all or are you still seeing the "connecting" message and experiencing the delay?

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

Thanks Drew! I have executed the step where I control quit the app, and I am not sure if that did the trick but for now I am not seeing the little popup showing up. Will keep an eye on it. Not sure why it started doing it on the first place.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pentool,

I’m glad to hear that Drew’s post helped you out! Hopefully 1Password will behave perfectly for you from now on, but if you hit any further snags, we’re here for you. :)

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

Well, it didn't help. The "Connecting to 1Password Mini" popup is back at startup. It actually takes between 20-30 second until this little popup goes away and the main login interface opens up.

The first time it took about 28 seconds. Once the popup went away, I immediately closed the main interface without logging in, and open the app again to see what happens. Same issue. The popup window came up again, and this time the "pause" was 23 seconds. This is frustrating. I never had any issues with 1PW so I am not sure why this started to happen out of the blue sky.

Since this has not happened to me since I purchased 1 PW (October of last year), I am suspicious if this has to do somehow with the latest version (6.3.1). However, this seems to be an intermittent issue, since I've just tried it again while I was typing this post, to check the version number I am using, and 1PW opened just fine and didn't see the popup this time. Weird.

• Hi @pentool ,

It sounds like something is slowing it down from opening the 1Password database. I'd like to ask you to create a Diagnostics Report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the Diagnostics Report(s) to an email message addressed to support+forum@agilebits.com. Also, please include the date and time you started 1Password

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report(s) in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report(s) in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can track down the report(s) and ensure that this issue is dealt with quickly. :)

Once we see the report we should be able to see what is going on.

Thanks,
    Kevin

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member
    edited July 2016

Thank you! Report sent.

IHW-78217-986

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @pentool! We received your Diagnostics Report, and I'll update the email thread with details from this forum discussion so it's easier for our support team to get up to speed with the issue. Someone will get back to you as soon as possible with more information, and we'll keep the conversation going directly via email to avoid complicating things between here and there.

ref: IHW-78217-986

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

Thanks Drew!

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

:+1: :)

• pentool
    pentool
    Community Member

I had a few emails going back and forth about this issue back in July with Kyle Swank from support. He was really helpful, but the solutions didn't help. Every once in awhile, the "Connecting to 1PW Mini..." dialog comes on and eventually goes away.

Today was the first time in history that after about 30-40 seconds of waiting I got the "Could not connect" dialog. Yes, I looked this particular issue up on the support site, and restarting 1PW a couple of times eventually fixed in. I'm just posting here that sadly this issue still happening.

The only thing is different that since my original posting date I have updated from v6.3.1 to v6.3.2.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @pentool,

I'm very sorry to hear you've continued to have trouble with 1Password! I see that you went through some extensive troubleshooting with Kyle in your email conversation. The fact that it didn't solve the problem tells me that this is a very unusual, uncommon, and difficult issue. We didn't hear back from you after Kyle's last reply, so I'm not sure if you tried the things he mentioned in it - if not (and assuming you still have that email), please make sure you've followed those steps/suggestions.

Assuming that doesn't help, we'll of course be happy to keep working with you on this. As it's been several months since we last heard from you, we'll need you to send us a new Diagnostics Report: https://support.1password.com/diagnostics/?mac

If you still have any of the emails that Laura or Kyle sent you, you can simply reply to one of those and attach the new diagnostics report. Or if you no longer have those emails, you can attach it to a new email addressed to: support+forum@agilebits.com (We'll be able to merge that with your original email ticket.)

To avoid repeating what you've already written here, you can refer to your latest post in this forum discussion in your email.

Again, I apologize for the inconvenience this ongoing issue has caused! Hopefully we'll figure out the solution soon. :)

ref: IHW-78217-986

This discussion has been closed.