Feature Request: Higher Limits for Password Generator

kbeckman
kbeckman
Community Member

Hey, AgileBits.

Just a quick feature request here... I'd like to see higher limits for the password generator feature. Right now, the slider for password length has a maximum limit of 50. I'd like to see that expanded to 128 characters at least... I have a few of specific use cases:

1) I'm a Ruby web developer and the de facto standard for password length in the leading community authentication library is 8 - 72 characters (https://github.com/plataformatec/devise/blob/master/lib/devise/models/validatable.rb). Some documentation examples show how to configure limits of 8 - 128 characters.
2) I recently bought a new router for my home network. The WPA password supports 8-63 characters... When I tried to use the password generator for this I could only get a max password of 50 characters.
3) LastPass supports higher character limits for password generation.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @kbeckman,

Thanks so much for the suggestion, I’ll pass it along to our team!

• mike429
    mike429
    Community Member

As a work-around in the meantime, couldn't you just (for example) generate three 50-character passwords and concatenate them? That should be just as random as an algorithm that generates a single password of length 150. Then the question would become: Is there a limit to the length of passwords that 1PW can store?

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@kbeckman @mike429,

There is no limit to the length of passwords 1Password can store.

However, do keep in mind that a 23-character alphanumeric password is already an uncrackable-in-the-age-of-the-known-universe 128 bits of entropy. Going from 23 characters to 50 characters is going from "impossible to crack" to "even more impossible to crack".

That isn't to say that we'll never allow the generation of passwords longer than 50 characters, but there really isn't any security benefit to it. It would essentially just be…for show. I mean, why stop at 128 characters? Why not make it 1024 characters? Or, better yet: 13.799±0.021 billion characters? :)

This discussion has been closed.