How do I eliminate (or, if I can't eliminate, change) the hint to my vault password?

julianfarrand
julianfarrand
Community Member

When I started using 1Password I created a hint for my vault password. I want to eliminate that hint now for security reasons. How do I do this? If I must have a hint how can I change my current hint? Thanks for your assistance.

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: OS X 10.11.5
Sync Type: iCloud
Referrer: forum-search:How can I eliminate the password hint to my vault?

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

In the strictest sense the hint can't be changed.

But you can change the password to exactly what it currently is, and that will give you a chance to give a new hint.

I'm not quite sure if you can do without a hint completely, but you can always choose something irrelevant ("none of your business" or "we're off to see the wizard", for instance).

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @julianfarrand

I would like to expand a bit on what danco just said. He is right that you can't change the hint without changing your Master Password, to do so from a Mac you need to go to Preferences in the main app and then to Security. There you'll be able to see "Change your Master Password". You can use the exact same Master Password you already have, and while you can't really not have a hint, 1Password will accept even one hit of the spacebar as hint, which for practical purposes will be as not having one.

Please let us know how this goes for you and if there's anything else that we can help you with! :chuffed:

• julianfarrand
    julianfarrand
    Community Member

I thank both of you (danco and Pilar) very much. Danco for giving me the solution and Pilar for giving me an ingenious variation. I'm all set now.

Julian

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @julianfarrand,

I’m so glad to hear that you’re all sorted out - thanks for letting us know!

I hope that 1Password behaves perfectly for you from now on, but if you have any other questions or concerns, we're here for you! :)

This discussion has been closed.