lost password on Mac/ still have on iPhone

PatrickH
PatrickH
Community Member

Hello,

I changed my password on the iPhone thinking that it would also change on my Computer. Not the case. I had changed it recently because of some security/account concerns and decided it was best to change passwords on accounts (using 1 Password! ThankYOU) but now I can only access the app on my iPhone and NOT the Computer. I thought that app was only supposed to have 1Password for 1 vault? is this correct? Is there a way to push the password from the phone to the desktop version??

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.6
OS Version: 10.11.5
Sync Type: cloud? I don't know

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickH,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

How are you syncing?

You mentioned that you don't know how you are syncing your data. Could you double-check that for me?

1. Open and unlock 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Tap Settings > Sync.

What does it say to the right of "Primary"? Dropbox or iCloud?

Do other items sync?

What happens if you create a brand new item in 1Password on your iPhone? Does that newly created item show up on in 1Password on your Mac?

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

iCloud

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Thanks for confirming that, @PatrickH. I was going to say that we just fixed a bug that should help with this, but it was only for Dropbox. So we'll have to dig a little deeper. :)

What happens if you create a brand new item in 1Password on your iPhone? Does that newly created item show up on in 1Password on your Mac?

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

Don't know, can't access account on computer

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickH,

Hmmm. So the issue is that you have not set up 1Password on your Mac? I thought you were using 1Password on your Mac, but the issue was just that the change in one item wasn't syncing.

When you say "can't access account on computer", can you help me understand what that means? The version number you provided in your first post indicated to me that you at least have 1Password installed on your Mac.

• Are you able to open the 1Password app on your Mac?
    • Are you able to unlock the 1Password app on your Mac?
    • Are you able to see your items in the 1Password app on your Mac?
  • PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

The passwords do not match between iPhone and computer versions. I'm essentially locked out of my account on computer but not iphone

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni
    edited July 2016

@PatrickH,

Ah! So when you say, "locked out of [your] account" you mean a specific website. But you are still able to open 1Password, unlock 1Password, and view your items in 1Password on both devices, yes?

If so, I'd like you to try what I suggested in the first place:

1. Create a brand new item in 1Password on your iPhone.
    2. Open 1Password on your Mac. Does that item you created in step 1 show up on in 1Password on your Mac?

I'm asking to try to narrow down the problem:

• If the new item syncs, then we know that the problem is just with that one item that isn't syncing.
    • If the new item doesn't sync, then the problem may be that syncing isn't working at all. The problem isn't limited to just that one item.

As for that specific account, you should be able to use the "forgot password" or "password reset" mechanism on that website to get back into the account. If that doesn't work for some reason, you may need to contact the website where you have that specific account so they can help you with that part of your problem.

I'd like to get syncing working correctly in 1Password for you, though. Please let me know whether creating a NEW item syncs or not. If you are stuck on any part — like you need specific steps for creating an item — please let me know. I'd be happy to provide further details.

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

No! I cannot access my vault on computer. It does not recognize my password so I can't get into it. However, it does recognize my password on the iphone. I want the password on the computer to match the iphone

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

I can't check if new items sync because The password is wrong and I can't access the account

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

Simply put....how donI make the laptop password the same as the iPhone password?

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

PatrickH Logon to your laptop with your old password. When it opens, it will then sync with the password you changed on the phone. Log out of the laptop. Log back in with the new password. HTH

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

@PatrickH,

Thanks for clarifying.

As vplewis mentioned, if you are able to unlock 1Password on your Mac using your old Master Password, you can then change the Master Password to match the one on your iPhone:

https://support.1password.com/master-password/

If you cannot unlock 1Password on your Mac — even with your old Master Password, then you can start over and sync the data from your iPhone. This will delete all the data you have in 1Password on your Mac. The only data you will have in 1Password will be the data in 1Password on your iPhone.

1. Open 1Password on your Mac.
    2. From the Help menu, choose Troubleshooting > Start Over.
    3. Open 1Password again. You will have the option to sync the data from iCloud:

https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer-icloud.html

Please let me know how it goes!

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

Tried that. Help> start over> everything gets erased. Open the app again and tried to use iPhone password but nothing....doesn't recognize password and still gives hints for the old password. Can't access preferences

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickH,

Help> start over> everything gets erased. Open the app again and tried to use iPhone password but nothing

Do you mean that after starting over / erasing the data from 1Password on your Mac, the next time you open 1Password it immediately asks you to enter a master password? Or do you mean the next time you open 1Password it takes you through a setup process? If you are taken through a setup process, it should work as explained here: https://support.1password.com/guides/mac/new-computer.html

In other words, it should find data in iCloud and give you the option to sync that data as part of the setup. Is that where it asks for your master password but won't accept it?

doesn't recognize password and still gives hints for the old password.

If it still gives the hint for your old master password, then it sounds like it's still asking you to enter the old master password. What happens when you enter the old master password at that point?

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

I don't know the old master password, hence my desire to sync it to iPhone version. It gives me the option to sync to iCloud which I do...then asks for the old password....doesn't give me access to preferences.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickH,

First of all, thank you so much for your patience as we work to find a solution for you here. I know that it can be frustrating when you can’t access your data!

So, let’s review where we’re at right now:

On your iPhone

• You have 1Password installed on your iPhone.
    • You are able to unlock 1Password for iOS and access all of your current data.
    • QUESTION: is 1Password for iOS currently synced to iCloud?

On your Mac

• You have gone through the starting over process that Khad and Drew suggested above.
    • When you open up 1Password, it asks you for your Master Password, but does not accept the password that you use on your iPhone.
    • QUESTION: Do you have multiple Apple IDs? Are you perhaps signed in to iCloud using a different Apple ID on your computer than you are on your iPhone?

Please let me know if my understanding of the situation is correct, and we’ll give you steps for moving forward. :)

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

All of the above is correct and it is syncing through iCloud. Only one iCloud/ iTunes account

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Thanks @PatrickH!

For some reason, it sounds like the copy of your vault in iCloud is still requiring your old master password, even though you've successfully changed it in 1Password on your iPhone. If you have all your current data in 1Password on your iPhone, what you can do is delete your 1Password data from iCloud and re-sync it from your iPhone. Before doing that, it's a good idea to create a backup of the 1Password data on your iPhone and save it to your Mac by following the steps here: Creating and restoring 1Password backups in iTunes (iOS)

Once you've done that, go ahead and follow these steps:

On your iPhone:

• Open 1Password and go to Settings.
    • Scroll down and tap Advanced, then scroll down and tap Erase iCloud Data (confirm you want to Reset iCloud Data).
    • Once you should see a message that confirms the data was reset and sync was disabled, tap OK.
    • Go to Settings > Sync > Primary > Start Syncing > Sync with iCloud.
    • Tap Add to iCloud to begin syncing.
    • Allow the sync to complete (this will take longer than a normal sync because it has to re-upload your entire vault to iCloud).

Once that initial sync is complete, launch 1Password on your Mac and try to set it up again. It should find your data in iCloud like before, but this time it should ask for your new master password. Please let us know how it all goes! :)

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

There doesn't appear to be a backup there in itunes

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @PatrickH,

Before you can find the backup in iTunes, you'll need to open 1Password on your iPhone and go to Settings > Advanced > Create Backup. Have you done that?

If so, there might be confusion about where to find that backup in iTunes. After connecting your iPhone to your Mac and opening iTunes, you need to select your iPhone by clicking its button near the top/left of iTunes. Once you see the screen showing information about your iPhone, click 'Apps' on the left side.

Once you're in Apps, you need to scroll down to the File Sharing section. If you currently see a list of all the apps as well as screenshots of how those apps are arranged on your iPhone, you need to scroll down to the bottom of the entire window. There, you'll find the File Sharing section which lists just a few of your apps. Select 1Password in that list and you should now see a '1Password Documents' section containing a Backups folder (that's the one you'll need to save somewhere on your Mac).

Does that help? Please let us know if you're still having trouble with that.

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

Never mind....got past that part but when I tried to sync computer to new iPhone back up there was simply no iCloud option....so went back into phone and created a dropbox version then that worked. Thanks for your help guys......a bit choppy on this part. So no option for iCloud sync when I went back (different from screenshots that you sent)

• PatrickH
    PatrickH
    Community Member

No worries...forgot to actually configure the backup from the phone at first. figured that out and was able to set up through DropBox back up as iCloud was unavailable to me when I tried to restore on the laptop. everything's working now but through DropBox sync and not iCloud

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

I'm glad you were able to get sync working via Dropbox, @PatrickH! But just to make sure I understand: After you backed up your data, you used the 'Reset iCloud Data' option in 1Password on your iPhone, and then you re-enabled sync with iCloud in 1Password on your iPhone. You waited for that initial sync to complete, and then you tried setting up 1Password on your Mac again. You were taken through the setup procedure, but this time it didn't find any data in iCloud?

If you're happy using Dropbox sync now, we can certainly leave things as they are. But if you'd like us to help figure out why iCloud sync isn't working for you, please let us know and we'll be more than happy to look further into this. I have a feeling it will turn out to be something simple - but it's completely up to you. We're here for you if you need us! :)

This discussion has been closed.