Feature Request: Scheduled password review

sallyb_online
sallyb_online
Community Member

I've been using 1 password for around 5 years and use it on my Mac, iPad and iPhone. Some of my passwords are very long-term while others are relatively short-term and used for signing up to a conference or event.

Please can you consider including a 'password review date' field. This could be fixed (e.g. 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years, 5 years etc) and remind the user to review the password (e.g. delete it, update the password, or make no changes).

Many thanks

Sally

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@sallyb_online: It's certainly something we can consider, but keep in mind that there's no legitimate security reason to change a long, strong, unique password for an account unless it's been compromised.

If you change the password and then someone steals the website's database, they'll have the new password.

If you don't change your password and other website is compromised, it will not affect any of your other accounts, provided they all have unique passwords.

The only possible use for password reminders would be for accounts which have misguided "security policies" which require periodic changes. The same above applies in these situations, but of course when someone else is calling the shots we're at their mercy...and in those cases that sort of feature could certainly help. ;)

• sallyb_online
    sallyb_online
    Community Member

Hi Brenty,

Thanks for this. One of the other reasons is that I often use 1password for signing up to conferences etc which will be redundant in a few months. So, it would also help to 'prune' some the passwords that are not needed in the long termm.

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @sallyb_online,

While, as Brenty says, having unique passwords is more important than having ‘fresh’ passwords, there’s certainly nothing wrong with giving your database a checkup every once in a while and changing your high priority passwords, or simply deleting ones that you no longer need.

And, it just so happens that 1Password has a great feature built right in to make this simple. Have you taken a peek at 1Password’s Security Audit? You’ll find the Security Audit in 1Password’s side bar:

Here you can monitor your database for stale passwords, weak passwords, and duplicate passwords. At this time there is no notification in app to remind you to do an audit, but I generally make a sweep through my Security Audit whenever the internet reminds me to change my clocks for Daylight Savings Time.

I hope this helps!

• sallyb_online
    sallyb_online
    Community Member

Thanks Megan - I wasn't aware of this.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

On behalf of Megan, you're quite welcome! I'm glad that was helpful for you. If you have more questions or need anything else, please let us know. Have a great weekend! :)

This discussion has been closed.