Issue with initially accessing in Safari, and then synching with iPhone/iPad

smugdoug
smugdoug
Community Member

So here's the issue: i boot up my Mac at work and open Safari. When I first click on the 1Password icon in the browser, a new tab opens and says I have to download an extension. If I wait a minute and close that tab, I and then click on the icon and I get the normal password fill-in screen. This only happens when I first start the iMac - afterwards I never have that issue again until rebooting. But another issue seems to be coinciding with that. I have 1Password synch with Dropbox on 4 iMacs, a laptop, an iPhone and an iPad. I added a login to 1Password here at work on the iMac, but it does not appear on the iPhone, iPad or laptop. And I just checked - the iMac and the iPhone both sync to the same place and are both synched.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided

Comments

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smugdoug,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

Is it possible that you have more than one copy of 1Password installed on your Mac? You can use Spotlight to search for "1Password" and see what turns up.

Also, could you let me know the version numbers we requested? While you are checking on the extension version, see if you happen to have multiple 1Password extensions installed as well. :)

We'll get it sorted out. :+1:

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

Hi Khad,

Thanks for responding so quickly. And I didn't even see request for the Versions of the app and extension. The app is 6.3.1, and the extension is 4.5.7. There is only one copy of each. However I did notice there is a 1Password.agilekeychain AND a 1Password copy.agilekeychain. Don't know if this would affect it.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smugdoug: Definitely, although that could be a separate issue. Thanks for mentioning that! Let's just get that out of the way. Just confirm which vault you're using across you're devices and drag the other to the Trash. That will help avoid accidentally syncing with separate vaults going forward. Which vault path is shown on each device?

Regarding your other issue, it sounds like it's simply taking a while for your Mac to load 1Password initially. I'm not certain if there's anything we can do about that and, as you mentioned, it works after a short while. But if you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to restart your Mac, reproduce the same issue, and then generate a diagnostic report and send it to support+forums@agilebits.com so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is happening:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Just be sure to include a link to this forum thread and your username in the email so we can 'connect the dots'. Also, knowing your timezone and the date/time of the incident will help us find it in the logs. Perhaps there's something there that will shed some light on things. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance! :)

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

K, will try that, but quick question first! I can find the direct filename that my 1password desktop is linked to, but if I'm not mistake, the iPad and iPhone only show dropbox. Is that correct, or have I not looked in the correct place?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smugdoug: Hmm. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You can find the path to the vault you're syncing in 1Password for Mac Preferences > Sync or 1Password for iOS Settings > Sync. Please let me know what you find!

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

Sorry it's taken me so long to respond. I see how to check it in Mac OS, but in iOS it only shows dropbox, not which file it's actually accessing. I can live with the first issue, the tab opening saying I don't have the browser extension installed, but I have really issues with the second problem. I keep adding new passwords on my mac, and they do not show up on my iOS devices. Last night on my iPad, I think I tried to synch with 2 vaults, the 2 that I mentioned in my initial query, but my my newly created logins STILL don't show!

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smugdoug: It should definitely show you the path, and it sounds like that's probably the key to the whole thing since you mention having a number of different vaults.

Open 1Password for iOS and go to Settings > Sync > (vault name) > Sync Service. The full path will be listed under "Current Sync Method". Let me know what you find!

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

Hi Brent,

I have two 1password DBs in Dropbox - 1Password copy.agilekeychain and 1Password.agilekeychain. All of my 1 Passwords synch with the non-copy, both my MacOS and iOS. So what could account for the issue I'm having?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smugdoug,

We can reset sync on your devices to re-create that keychain in Dropbox, and ensure that all your devices are looking at that same keychain. Here’s how to do that:

• On your iOS devices, open 1Password for iOS, tap Settings > Sync > Sync Service, and tap Disable Sync.

• On each of the Macs, open 1Password for Mac, and click the 1Password menu, then Preferences. Click Sync, and use the dropdown menu to change the selection to "none" to disable syncing.

• Check the box to remove the data from Dropbox and confirm that you want to disable sync.

• Reboot the Macs and iOS devices.

• Check your Dropbox folder and delete any other 1Password folders or files that the remove data checkbox did not take care of.

• On the first Mac, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select Open. This will regenerate a 1Password folder in Dropbox, and that will contain a new 1Password.opvault file.

• Allow Dropbox to fully sync.

• On the other Macs, go back to the Sync preferences, and click Dropbox. Click Choose vault, then navigate to your Dropbox folder and select the 1Password.opvault file that was just created.

• Go back into the iOS app and re-enable Dropbox sync. That should get everything on the same page for sure.

(Please note that the OPVault format is our new default data format. If you’re curious of how the format is designed, you can read all about it in our support guides, but from a practical standpoint it will function the same as your 1Password.agilekeychain file did and ensure that your data gets synced across your devices.)

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

Thanks - about to try that but have one question. One of my Macs is running 10.9.5 ( I can't update it due to a particular app). So I'm running 1Password 4 on it. Will that he able to access the opvault file?

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @smugdoug,

Good question! No, 1Password 4 for Mac doesn't support the OPVault sync format - but that's ok because you can create your new sync file in the Agile Keychain format instead, which will work with both Macs (and iOS devices).

Before following Megan's steps, you'll simply need to change a setting: On your Mac with 1Password 6, go to Help > Tools in the menu bar and disable the Enable OPVault for Dropbox and Folder sync option (if it has a check mark, just select that option to un-check it). Then you can go ahead and follow Megan's steps - the only difference is that the new sync file will be named 1Password.agilekeychain instead of 1Password.opvault.

Please let us know how it all goes! If you run into any trouble or have more questions, we'll continue from there. :)

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

Ok, I'm pretty sure I did the things in order of how Megan recommended. I got rid of the previous DBs in Dropbox, created the new 1Password.opvault in the 1Password folder within the Apps folder. Now, when into my iPhone or iPad and open 1Password to resent, I go to Sync, Primary, Start Syncing, Sync with Dropbox, it shows my name, and when I tap on it, it says looking for 1Password data, then asked me to choose a vault: 1Password.agilekeychain or 1Password copy.agilekeychain. I am currently looking at my Dropbox directory on my iMac, and those vaults do not exist anymore. And on my devices, it doesn't give me an option to redirect to the opvault.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@smugdoug: Thanks for following up! It does sound like this is partially due to multiple (copies of?) vaults you have in Dropbox. That can definitely be confusing!

If you're still having trouble, the best thing to do will be to generate a diagnostic report for each device so we can look at the logs to determine exactly what is going on:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Windows)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach each to an email to us: support+forum@agilebits.com

Please do not post your Diagnostics Report in the forums, but please do include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle so that we can "connect the dots" when we see your Diagnostics Report in our inbox.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here so we can quickly track down the report and ensure that it is dealt with quickly. Once we see the report we should be able to better assist you. Thanks in advance!

• smugdoug
    smugdoug
    Community Member

I'm ashamed to admit that I think I've solved the problem. As I was reading your reply at home, it all of a sudden occurred to me that where I add to 1Password the most is at work, and that's the db that doesn't seem to be transferring updates to my other devices. It's when I realized that I had a catastrophic HD failure a few months back. When I restored what I could on the computer, the dropbox folder was there, but I thought maybe the dropbox PROGRAM wasn't. When I got in to work today I discovered that's exactly what happened. So I could sync 1Password all I wanted at work, but nothing else would update. I apologize for having you all work on this to help me when it was a buffoonish error on my part. THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!! I will contact you if anything else comes up.

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

That's great news! And no need to apologize - we know how easy it can be to overlook something that seems obvious in retrospect. In fact, none of us thought to ask you to make sure Dropbox was installed & working on each computer, so we'll share some of that blame! :lol:

I'm really glad you were able to figure it out and get the sync working again. Thank you for taking the time to follow up here and let us know! If you ever need more help or have questions about 1Password, please don't hesitate to ask us. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.