1Password updated the wrong login credential. How do I report a bug?

bwallac5
bwallac5
Community Member

I just used the password generator to change my password on a popular US ecommerce site. I shop that site in two countries, so I have two logins...each titled .com and .ca. 1Password prompted me to update the password when I finished changing the .com password...which I did. However, it updated the .ca login credentials with the newly generated .com password. I now have the .com (generated) password in my .ca login, and the old .com password still in the .com login. I've confirmed this problem by using the "copy" feature...copying the new .ca password into the .com ecommerce site's login page (it works) and trying the .ca login entry and confirming it doesn't work (it wants the old password).

Is this a known bug? How do I recover my old .ca password that was overwritten by 1Password with the newly generated .com password?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:1Password updated the wrong login

Comments

• vplewis
    vplewis
    Community Member

Bwallac5 In the main 1Password app, view the ".ca" item. Towards the bottom of the pane you'll notice a button that says "Show previously used passwords" click that and you should see the missing password. HTH

• khad
    khad
    1Password Alumni

Hi @bwallac5,

Thanks for taking the time to contact us. I'm sorry that you are having some trouble.

As vplewis mentioned, you should be able to retrieve the old password. Here is an article that offers some additional detail:

If you generated a password that wasn't saved, or you can't sign in

Presuming you are referring to Amazon.com and Amazon.ca, it sounds like what happened is that 1Password's equivalence for those domains caused a bit of confusion. 1Password treats Amazon.com and Amazon.ca identically. So if you have two separate Amazon accounts, you will need to choose which one you are trying to update.

Think about it like this. Let's say you have two Login items for example.com — Home and Work — and you go to change your password, there isn't necessarily anything on the page where you actually change your password that 1Password can use to determine which of your Login items you want to update, so it prompts you to choose one.

I wonder if one solution to this is to not have a default choice chosen when there are multiple options. That way it is impossible to just click through without acknowledging the fact that a choice has to be made and making it.

What do you think about that idea?

This discussion has been closed.