Setting up 1password

CindySue
CindySue
Community Member

Can I use my iPhone to set this up instead of my Mac?
Do I buy this thru AgileBits, or thru the App Store?

What is AgileBits phone #, in case I have questions while doing this?

Comments

• Pilar
    Pilar
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CindySue

I'm glad to hear that you're interested in 1Password! There are two ways in which you can use 1Password: you can either have a single version license or a 1Password account. You can read more about both of them here: https://1password.com/pricing/.

Either way, you can set it up on your iPhone and then later add your account or sync it to your computer, depending on what you choose. For your iPhone, you can only download it from the App Store, for your Mac you can get it directly from the page that I mentioned above.

If you run into any trouble or have any questions while setting 1Password up just let us know over here and we'll be happy to help you! :chuffed:

• CindySue
    CindySue
    Community Member

If I create my 1Password on my iPhone, is the cost the same? And will my phone automatically sync with my laptop?

• Megan
    Megan
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CindySue,

The cost of 1Password will depend on how you decide to purchase the app.

If you choose a 1Password account (using either 1Password Families or 1Password for Teams), then you will pay a subscription fee that allows you access to all the apps on all of your devices. You can learn more about the features by clicking on either link.

If you choose to purchase the 1Password apps themselves, the price can vary depending on the platforms that you wish to use 1Password on. 1Password for iOS is a free download from the iOS App Store, with some iOS Pro features available for a one-time In-App Purchase. You can get a license for the desktop versions of 1Password for your Macs and Windows PCs from the AgileBits Store.

I hope this helps! The pricing page that Pilar shared has a good comparison between what the 1Password account will offer vs. purchasing the apps themselves.

Of course, if you have further questions, we’re always here for you. :)

• CindySue
    CindySue
    Community Member

I downloaded the app. It didn't say it was free but it also didn't state the price. It also doesn't mention exactly what it is, but I assume it's not an account (for families or teams). Do you know what the 1password on the Apple app is and what it includes/costs? Now I'm wondering if I was charged. Or if this is even what I wanted. I just want the basic $65 plan. Is that what I got from downloading the app???

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @CindySue,

Sorry for all the confusion! I'm sure we can help clear this all up for you.

I downloaded the app.

Do you mean you downloaded the iOS version of 1Password on your iPhone? Or did you download the Mac version on your Mac? Either way is fine, but I'm not sure which one you're confused about and/or need help with.

It didn't say it was free but it also didn't state the price.

If you downloaded 1Password for iOS on your iPhone: 1Password for iOS is a free download and offers free basic features. If you have a Teams/Families account, the Pro features in 1Password for iOS are free. If you don't have a Teams/Families account and would like to unlock the Pro features in 1Password for iOS, you can do so with an in-app purchase.

If you downloaded 1Password for Mac on your Mac: 1Password for Mac can be downloaded for free from our website and used free for 30 days. If you have a Teams/Families account, you don't need to purchase a license and can activate 1Password for Mac by simply signing into your account. If you don't have a Teams/Families account, you'll need to purchase a license from our AgileBits Store in order to activate 1Password for Mac past the 30 day free trial.

It also doesn't mention exactly what it is, but I assume it's not an account (for families or teams).

If you just downloaded the 1Password app and haven't signed up for a Teams/Families account, then you're correct. You don't have an account for Teams/Families and are using the app by itself.

Do you know what the 1password on the Apple app is and what it includes/costs?

The iOS version of 1Password is available in the App Store on your iOS device. As I mentioned above, it's a free download, and the basic features are free. If you have a Teams/Families account, the Pro features are also free. If you don't have a Teams/Families account, you can choose to unlock the Pro features with an in-app purchase (or you can continue to use the free basic features). We have more information here: Pro features in 1Password for iOS

The Mac version of 1Password is available from either our own AgileBits Store or the Mac App Store. If you downloaded the 1Password for Mac app for free on your Mac, then it sounds like you downloaded it from our own site (there is no free trial of 1Password on the Mac App Store). The free trial from our website is fully functional for 30 days. If you have a Teams/Families account, that will activate the 1Password for Mac app as soon as you sign into your account from that app. If you don't have a Teams/Families account, you'll need to purchase a license from the AgileBits Store to activate 1Password for Mac. Alternately, you can purchase 1Password for Mac from the Mac App Store. (Either way, it's the same price.)

For more information on what a standalone license includes and how that's different from a Teams/Families account, please make sure you check out this page: Find the 1Password that's right for you

Now I'm wondering if I was charged. Or if this is even what I wanted.

Unless you've purchased the Pro features in 1Password for iOS, or purchased a license from our website or from the Mac App Store, you haven't been charged for anything.

If you sign up for a Teams/Families account, you will eventually need to add a credit card to your account in order to pay for the subscription. But there's a 30 day free trial for Teams/Families accounts, so even if you signed up for one, you wouldn't have been charged anything yet.

I just want the basic $65 plan. Is that what I got from downloading the app???

A "plan" implies a recurring subscription fee, which is how you would pay for a Teams/Families account. If you just want to buy a standalone license, there's no "plan" involved. You would just use the app you purchased and would not have an account/subscription/plan with us.

Downloading the app doesn't necessarily mean you've made any purchase or signed up for any account. Like I said above, it can be downloaded for free.

Does this help to clear things up at all? Again, I apologize for any confusion. I hope this helps, but please don't hesitate to let us know if you have more questions about how it all works. Cheers! :)

• CindySue
    CindySue
    Community Member

Thank you for the informative response Drew! Yes, I downloaded the free iOS version on my iPhone. Question is, I can only use it on the phone right? It won't sync up to my Mac? Or do I have to buy the $65 license to download it on my Mac?

Another question I have...what is the difference between the licensed version is have to pay $65 for to download on my Mac, and the free iOS phone app version? I understand that the free iOS phone app version is basic, and that I can buy upgrades via in app charges. If I upgrade to the Plus, is that the same as the licensed version then?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@CindySue: Correct. Using 1Password for iOS doesn't give you a license for 1Password for Mac (or Windows). You can use the trial version without restrictions for 30 days, but if you'd like to remove the trial restrictions after that you'll need to purchase a license.

Doing the in-app purchase for Pro Features in 1Password for iOS gets you the Pro Features in 1Password for iOS. Mac and Windows apps can't be bundled with iOS apps (and vice versa), and will be a separate purchase. Also, 1Password for iOS, like any iOS app, does not have a license; rather, the purchase is tied to your Apple ID, so it can be used on any of your devices using the same Apple ID. I hope this helps! :)

• CindySue
    CindySue
    Community Member

So the iOS app version I downloaded on my phone is a 30-day free trial? Or what you're saying is the license has a 30-day free trial?

• @CindySue,

The Mac version has the 30 day free trial. The iOS version in its basic form is completely free.

Rudy

This discussion has been closed.