1Password and Ubuntu

Comments

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

I'm sorry to hear that 1Password no longer meets your changing needs. We'd never encourage you to pay for 1Password in the hopes that a native Linux app will come at some indeterminate time in the future though. We're just not in a position to develop something like that right now. Perhaps in the future we'll be able to, but you should definitely use whatever works for you best. Take care.

• Zero2Cool
    Zero2Cool
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

You are not able to develop a simple browser add-on that works on every Browser and OS, like Lastpass? Sorry guys, then you have the wrong people. 1Password family is the perfect product for a pure browser add-on, because all is in the cloud. With a pure browser add-on you would make many Linux users happy.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@Zero2Cool: I agree that many people (except those who prefer a standalone license and local vaults) would benefit from that. But having a full-fledged, standalone password manager by any name in the form of a browser extension is anything but simple. It may be something we do in the future, but not a small undertaking by any means.

• blackka
    blackka
    Community Member

How can I use browser extensions of 1password on Ubuntu OS ?

• Jacob
    edited November 2016

@blackka Sorry for the confusion. The 1Password browser extensions and apps are supported on macOS, Windows, iOS, and Android. If you have a 1Password account, you can sign in to it at 1Password.com in a browser on Ubuntu. The apps and extensions aren't supported on Ubuntu right now. Hope that helps.

• 365nice
    365nice
    Community Member

I too would love to see Linux support however in the company I work the Dev team (which uses Linux and a command line tool called pass) is dwarfed by Windows users and the 1p Windows app is still very crude compared to the OSX one.

So I suspect Linux is still far off, sadly.

• We're hoping that the new Windows app will be the prime candidate for this, since it uses .NET, a framework that can be taken cross-platform with Core. Right now we're working to bring the Windows app up to speed — as some have mentioned, we have a very small team working on it and they're doing their best — then something like this is a door we could try out.

• windie_appleseed
    windie_appleseed
    Community Member

@ben have you considered a desktop web app based on the web interface for 1Password (using chromium). It would be easy to encapsulate the html/js frontend and maybe even use service workers for offline access.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

In an earlier comment, trizz mentioned using nativefier to do something similar. We can certainly consider doing something like that...but not everyone is crazy about web-wrap-apps, and I think that if we're going to put in the effort it might make more sense to go all out.

• sifutommy
    sifutommy
    Community Member

As a 10 year 1Password customer, I just have to give a huge +1 to some sort of Linux solution. Like some others, I'm seriously questioning Apple's commitment to the Mac, and am considering moving away from it. I already run Linux at work, and am considering doing so on my personal machines. The new web UI is great, but browser extensions are sorely needed. I wonder if a "fat extension" that talked to the service directly instead of a local application would be less of a lift.

• Well, if the Mac is phased out and people start using Linux, we'll be hopping on that boat as well I imagine. :lol: I'm glad you're enjoying the web interface. It could be very useful with an extension as well.

• paczor
    paczor
    Community Member

I already moved from OSX to Linux (Debian) and looking for solution I found ther is NO 1Pass for Linux?! "Sheet!" I try to replace it with Enpass but it's way too simple. As I'm still booting OSX sometimes I'm exporting my 1P vault and importing it in Enpass (it works!). Hoping someday I will buy Linux version of 1Password.

• I hope you enjoy Linux! Perhaps 1Password will join you there one day as well.

• madAndroid
    madAndroid
    Community Member

Another big +1 for Linux support - I've been a MacOS user for the past 2 years, but I will NOT buy a new MBP, since they appear to be more interested in flashy unnecessary features (hello touchbar, bye bye regular function keys), than in keeping their existing users happy. I will therefore be moving back to working solely on Linux again (I was an Ubuntu user for many years before switching to OSX) .. and having a 1Password native app on Linux would be a priority for switching back.

• Thank you. I hope you find a good machine for Ubuntu as well — I still use a 15-inch Retina MacBook Pro from last year and I love it. No need to upgrade when it works fast and happy. :)

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

Usecase: Lots of mac users and a Linux Sysadmin.
    What does he need? A kinda working 1Password, on Linux.

Wine is fine but ... no 1Password with any kind of sub vaults is a dealbreaker.

Honest question: you did post wine workarounds which hints towards agile knowing people use it. Yet no solution for 1Password 6?

So for me as well, +1 Linux support.

Let me also add, there is a deadline to this. If you don't make something work until EARLY 2017 one totally not relevant 1Password users will need to look to open alternatives, which granted suck usability wise. Yet a Sysadmin who needs a working terminal server to potentially bootstrap a shutdown office it infrastructure is a no go.
    So for now we went from Wine to CSV exports and some extra sweets for Sysadmins to endure all this.

Apparently there is super wonky self compile .Net 4.6.2 solution on very latest ubuntu. Maybe you can look into making a docker or help the open source community in ANY other kinda way to make this work agilebits.

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

The Best i was able todo after 5 hours checking stuff out with docker:

fixme:ole:Context_QueryInterface interface not implemented {51372ae0-cae7-11cf-be81-00aa00a2fa25}
    fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33ce48 (nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x17cc988,0x17cc8b0): stub
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime"): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000402,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x33d9b0,(nil)): stub
    err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.\nException Info: System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException\n at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(System.IO.IsolatedS"...
    fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Unable to create the store directory. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131468)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(IsolatedStorageScope scope, StringHandleOnStack retRootDir)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.InitGlobalsNonRoamingUser(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetGlobalFileIOPerm(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.Init(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at Microsoft.HockeyApp.HockeyClientWPFExtensions.Configure(IHockeyClient this, String identifier)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.d__32.MoveNext() in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\App.xaml.cs:line 368
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.b__6_0(Object state)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.InternalRealCall(Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at System.Windows.Threading.ExceptionWrapper.TryCatchWhen(Object source, Delegate callback, Object args, Int32 numArgs, Delegate catchHandler)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
    at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
    at System.Windows.Application.Run()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\Program.cs:line 42
    wine: Unhandled exception 0xe0434352 in thread 69 at address 0x7b43e2a2 (thread 0069), starting debugger...
    fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet
    root@02c7e5ad619b:~/.wine/drive_c/users/root/Local Settings/Application Data/1Password/app/6#

fixme:ole:Context_QueryInterface interface not implemented {51372ae0-cae7-11cf-be81-00aa00a2fa25}
    fixme:ver:GetCurrentPackageId (0x33ce48 (nil)): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0002,0x0000,0x00000000,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x17cc988,0x17cc8b0): stub
    fixme:advapi:RegisterEventSourceW ((null),L".NET Runtime"): stub
    fixme:advapi:ReportEventW (0xcafe4242,0x0001,0x0000,0x00000402,(nil),0x0001,0x00000000,0x33d9b0,(nil)): stub
    err:eventlog:ReportEventW L"Application: AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe\nFramework Version: v4.0.30319\nDescription: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.\nException Info: System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException\n at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(System.IO.IsolatedS"...
    fixme:advapi:DeregisterEventSource (0xcafe4242) stub

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Unable to create the store directory. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131468)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(IsolatedStorageScope scope, StringHandleOnStack retRootDir)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.InitGlobalsNonRoamingUser(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetRootDir(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.GetGlobalFileIOPerm(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageFile.Init(IsolatedStorageScope scope)
    at Microsoft.HockeyApp.HockeyClientWPFExtensions.Configure(IHockeyClient this, String identifier)
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.App.d__32.MoveNext() in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\App.xaml.cs:line 368
    --- End of stack trace from previous location where exception was thrown ---
    at System.Runtime.CompilerServices.AsyncMethodBuilderCore.<>c.b__6_0(Object state)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeImpl()
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.InvokeInSecurityContext(Object state)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
    at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
    at System.Windows.Threading.DispatcherOperation.Invoke()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.ProcessQueue()
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.WndProcHook(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndWrapper.WndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam, Boolean& handled)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.DispatcherCallbackOperation(Object o)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.LegacyInvokeImpl(DispatcherPriority priority, TimeSpan timeout, Delegate method, Object args, Int32 numArgs)
    at MS.Win32.HwndSubclass.SubclassWndProc(IntPtr hwnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wParam, IntPtr lParam)
    at MS.Win32.UnsafeNativeMethods.DispatchMessage(MSG& msg)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrameImpl(DispatcherFrame frame)
    at System.Windows.Threading.Dispatcher.PushFrame(DispatcherFrame frame)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunDispatcher(Object ignore)
    at System.Windows.Application.RunInternal(Window window)
    at System.Windows.Application.Run(Window window)
    at System.Windows.Application.Run()
    at AgileBits.OnePassword.Program.Main(String[] args) in C:\code\onepassword-rt\AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop\Program.cs:line 42
    wine: Unhandled exception 0xe0434352 in thread 69 at address 0x7b43e2a2 (thread 0069), starting debugger...
    fixme:thread:NtQueryInformationThread info class 16 not supported yet

less then i hoped yet progress - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/spa/8bu9b76nr7gysf8/i23ow133.png

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

If you wanna test yourself https://hub.docker.com/r/bsolut/wine/

• That's very good to know. I'm sorry there's a deadline on Linux support in your case. We aren't actively developing a Linux client, so I want to be clear: That deadline probably won't be met. I'm glad you're trying out the .NET solution — I really appreciate you looking into it. As I mentioned in this thread, though, Wine is not officially supported for running 1Password so there can be bugs along the way, especially with .NET builds like that. You're welcome to use the web interface to access your 1Password data on Linux, as I mentioned before.

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

Do i read that correctly?

1Password, hence using linux and other open source tools, will not help looking into that crash cause. Also no movement into that direction can be expected?

Are you interested to hear my 2 Cent reasoning why the "web interface" solution is not a solution? Can you point towards any external audit reports towards that?

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@decrypted: I think you may have misread. I don't think anyone is presenting the 1Password.com web interface as a "solution"; it's simply one option, like using the existing Windows app in Wine. These are each useful to some folks, but of course different people have different needs and preferences.

But while the 1Password.com web interface is very much a supported way to use 1Password (we've developed the web app to be used in browsers after all), we don't support running a version of 1Password which was developed for Windows on Linux. Ultimately if we had the resources to chase crash reports for Wine/Docker/.Net issues, they'd probably be better spent on developing a native Linux app. Perhaps one day we will. But currently the answer is still "not now".

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

Yo thx for the dialog. Did bring some clarity. Also thx for being so honest of it being on option and not really a solution.

Snarky remark about the "we dont´t support": https://support.1password.com/1password-in-wine/. Its never a good customer experience taking options away instead of adding them.

• rs_saunders
    rs_saunders
    Community Member
    edited November 2016

@decrypted : while it does indeed suck that the new 1password doesn't work under wine, and I as a customer wish it would, I feel I should clarify that they have never at any point ever supported it as an official option. It was just a happy coincidence it worked under wine and they, out of the goodness of their hearts posted on the forum how to do it. It's it's a shame it does t work but it's not their fault. I've been following this thread for a while now and it seems they are only a small team and would genuinely want to build a Linux client if they could but don't have the resources or manpower to do so. If we want it to work under wine then we have to put in the effort ourselves. Do you have a link to instructions about that self build version of .Net? If I get chance I'd like to take a look myself but not promising anything :-)

Ps: if the company you work for made the decision in the past to use an unofficial hacky solution (even though it worked pretty well) for password management, they have to accept the possibility of it not working in the future and not getting any support.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@rs_saunders: You're right on. I wish that the new app worked under Wine, and that we had the resources to devote to Linux. But currently we need to focus on making it great on Windows, since that's the product we're offering. It doesn't feel good to have to say "no" so many times, and I hope to see the day where I can say "yes" to 1Password on Linux. :blush:

Yo thx for the dialog. Did bring some clarity. Also thx for being so honest of it being on option and not really a solution.

@decrypted: No problem! The last thing I'd want to do is give you false hope that a native Linux app was forthcoming.

Snarky remark about the "we dont´t support": https://support.1password.com/1password-in-wine/. Its never a good customer experience taking options away instead of adding them.

Not at all, both regarding your "snarky" characterization and also that we've taken anything away. I actually wrote some of that knowledgebase article, so I'm intimately familiar with it. The first paragraph says a lot:

We regularly receive questions about how to use 1Password on Linux systems. This article discusses how that can be done.

Rather than folks having to email us or post on the forums and wait for a reply to get this information, it's readily available in our knowledgebase. Initially I was against this because I was concerned that some people might get the wrong impression and think that running 1Password for Windows under Wine in Linux was somehow supported. But ultimately folks wiser than me pointed out that this isn't a great reason to make it harder for people to get the information they were looking for that might help them. And frankly, that information was already out there. It's just easier for people to find it this way.

But more to the point, I think this makes things pretty clear:

Reporting Bugs
    The instructions contained in this document are not supported by AgileBits. They are provided AS-IS.
    There is no support for 1Password for Windows being used on Linux systems. If you encounter a problem with 1Password for Windows while using it with Wine, you will need to recreate the problem using a Microsoft Windows system. Problems which are not recreatable under Microsoft Windows will need to be reported to the Wine project for resolution. Problems which can be recreated should be reported to us with the Windows operating system version used to recreate the problem.

If people want to use the 1Password apps they've paid for, they're entitled to do so on any of their computers. The standalone apps are licensed per-person, not per-installation, after all. But we don't sell a "1Password for Linux" license and never have. It's great that Wine has advanced to the point that it can run 1Password 4. I was actually using it yesterday myself. But it is, in fact, a Windows app. 1Password 6 is as well, and we're focused on making it work on Windows. It's supported on 7, 8.1, and 10, and as far as I know it won't work on XP or Vista. I suspect that's why Wine has trouble with it, as it's very much focused on backward compatibility, and its probably simply takes time to reverse engineer things anyway.

It may be that future versions of Wine catch up, and by then the new app will be more mature too. But given that what we're selling is a product for Windows, I think it's our responsibility to focus on supporting that platform rather than maintaining compatibility with a compatibility layer. Wine is in incredible achievement, and really useful; but I wouldn't describe it as a good user experience. So if and when we have the resources to dedicate to supporting Linux, we're much more likely to release a full app rather than trying to shoehorn it into Wine.

I hope that explains the situation better. If anything I've said sounds even remotely snarky, that's a failing of communication on my part, and I'm sorry if I've given that impression, as it isn't at all my intention. I appreciate your passion for Linux, and I sincerely hope that we'll be able to grant your wish someday. But I do not wish to give false hope either. :blush:

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

Hi, https://hub.docker.com/r/bsolut/wine/ was the link.

What's left? Copy the files of and installed version into the container and run it in the container. Readme has some setup details - https://github.com/bsolut/docker-wine. This docker was tuned for OSX. YES goal was linux yet i did jump through the hoops trying to save my beloved 1Password.

Youhave way too many assumptions - who said we ever used a hacky solution. Hint: My Experience - sysadmins and developers are just moving of a for them dying platform as of OSX and IOS. I´m to committed to move at this point and now we are disconnected by a tool we used to work MORE connected as in 1Password.

If 1Password wanna go SAAS focus, cool - yet others there are much more corp already.

PPS: Did i spend 6 hours fighting with docker to get this wine running? Yes. Is there any other container with the correct frameworks searchable in thaa internet? No. Yes it's a b***, yet hopeless in this case.
    don't worry, really - we just wrote an group and attachment etc supporting 1pif 2 Keepass XML converter - case closed :)

PPPS: AS said i´m honestly thankful for the strong indication Agile left here. They will stay my personal solution on OSX and all, yet now is the time admins switching from OSX to linux can not longer wait.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

@decrypted: It looks like we were both posting our manifestos at the same time. :lol:

I just wanted to follow up to say one more thing based on your Docker (mis)adventures: If you enjoy this struggle, more power to you; you rock! But I will say that 1Password 6 is very much still a work in progress. We're releasing stable updates now, but there's still a lot more to be added and changed, so if it were me personally, I'd wait until things settle down to sink a bunch of time into finding a way to get it working on Linux. I'd hate for you to succeed only to have it break again with an update.

Then again, if you move to another solution, I totally understand. The important thing is that you're securing your data, and that you're using a tool that fits your needs. Even if we're not able to provide a Linux solution now, it would make both of us happy if we can in the future. Cheers! :)

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

It's supported on 7, 8.1, and 10, and as far as I know it won't work on XP or Vista. I suspect that's why Wine has trouble with it, as it's very >much focused on backward compatibility, and it's probably simply takes time to reverse engineer things anyway.

The profile is there - https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/spa/8bu9b76nr7gysf8/jygk_c34.png
    I just needed to DIG very deep. See my snarky comments about the hours of wine debugging to make this run :P

The app opens kinda, right - as screenshot shows. Your guess about takes time could be right. Maybe also a simple config missing. Hence the error

Unhandled Exception: System.IO.IsolatedStorage.IsolatedStorageException: Unable to create the store directory.

Best,

• decrypted
    decrypted
    Community Member

@brenty cool. Thx! Exactly ;)

Atm i can not justify more adventuring into it - but maybe others want -> i made my finding and tooling public.
    I hope i did not cause copyright issues, but doubt it. The 1Password files are not included in the container.

So steps (details in the readme) to run this with docker on osx for easy reference:

• add the installed 1Password 6 Windows files to the container or get it into a container in another way like dir sharing (-v /local/dir/to/your/Copy/of/1password6AppDir/From/A/Windows/Machine:/home)
    • run socat TCP-LISTEN:6000,reuseaddr,fork UNIX-CLIENT:\"$DISPLAY\"
    • run docker run -it -e DISPLAY=$ip:0 bsolut/wine /bin/bash
    • run 1Password in the docker (for example wine /home/AgileBits.OnePassword.Desktop.exe)

Have fun

PS: you need xquartz on osx

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni

:) :+1:

• BamaStangGuy
    BamaStangGuy
    Community Member

I signed up just to say how much I would love to have support for Linux. I use Linux exclusively for work and while I can just leave the 1Password site open and copy my passwords from there, I miss the ease of use of the browser plugins to simply fill and submit my passwords.

This discussion has been closed.