Trouble with the extension for Chrome on OSX

Jonas Tee
Jonas Tee
Community Member
edited July 2016 in Mac

Hey guys,

since few days I have a problem with the browser extension for Chrome (v51) on OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), before it worked great. Btw, I am huge fan of your service.

As I said, now the extension does not work anymore. If I try to open the browser extension in Chrome the following happens:

If I click "Launch Lpplication" the 1Password app opens very shortly, only for a sec or so and than closes abruptly. If I wait a little bit longer the sign "Looking for the 1Password app" appears. Only the extension does not work -- the app as well as the mini in the menu are working fine. I also tried to use the extension without browser verification but no difference.

Is it possible that dnsmasq, dnscrypt or privoxy causes this problem?

Do you guys have an idea? I am looking forward for any help. Thanks a lot in advance.

Best regards,
Jonas

1Password Version: 6.3.1
Extension Version: 4.5.7.90
OS Version: OSX 10.11.5
Sync Type: Dropbox

Comments

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Hi @Jonas Tee,

I'm sorry you're having trouble using the 1Password extension in Chrome! Thank you for the details and the screenshot, they're very helpful!

You mentioned that 1Password mini is running (and seemingly working) in your Mac's menubar after trying to use the extension the first once. Do you know if it's running before that? It's a good idea to double-check a setting in the main 1Password app:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to 1Password > Preferences in the menubar.
    • Click the General tab.
    • Make sure the option for "Always keep 1Password Mini running" is enabled.

If that was already enabled, please try restarting 1Password mini:

• Open the main 1Password app.
    • Go to Help > Troubleshooting > Restart 1Password mini in the menubar.
    • Once it restarts, try using the extension in Chrome again.

Finally, if restarting mini doesn't help, please reboot your Mac. After it restarts, does the extension work in Chrome, or do you get the same error?

If the same thing still happens, it sounds like something is blocking the extension from communicating with 1Password mini. Please take a look at the suggestions here: If 1Password still isn’t working in your browser

In addition to having you uninstall/reinstall the extension and restarting your Mac, that section also links to some articles that will help configure firewalls, proxy servers, antivirus, and other security software which might have something to do with the problem. Does any of that help? Please let us know how it all goes, and if it's still a problem, we'll continue from there. Thanks! :)

• Jonas Tee
    Jonas Tee
    Community Member

Hi @Drew_AG,

thanks a lot for your fast and clear answer.

I found the problem... it was my security settings which blocked the communication between 1Password and the extension. I just updated the settings for my proxy.

Great support,
    Jonas

• Drew_AG
    Drew_AG
    1Password Alumni

Awesome! I'm glad you were able to figure out what was blocking the communication and solve it. Thank you for getting back to us to let us know!

Hopefully you're all set now, but if you need anything else, just let us know. Cheers! :)

This discussion has been closed.