Entered 2 letters of my first name, "os" into Google and my password showed

Options
joema9010
joema9010
Community Member

Google showed my password after I entered the first two letters of my first name which it is Oscar

1Password Version: 6.4.3
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided
Sync Type: Not Provided
Referrer: forum-search:Security brake

Comments

• joema9010
    joema9010
    Community Member
    Options

I should have said,"security break" not brake

• margeau
    margeau
    Community Member
    Options

Hello @joema9010,

I am intrigued. It sounds like a very strange incident. Are the first two letters of your name the beginning of your password? Is it possible that your password was in browser's clipboard because you had copied and pasted the password previously?

I am trying to deduce how the situation you experienced could occur. If possible, let me know more.
    Margeau

• joema9010
    joema9010
    Community Member
    Options

Yes Sir. My name "Oscar" is exactly the first five letters of my password. Without jumping to conclusions Margeau, should I change it?
    Thank you very much for helping me. I will anticipate your reply to act accordingly.

• AGAlumB
    AGAlumB
    1Password Alumni
    Options

@joema9010: Definitely change your password if you have your name in it! This guide is geared toward the desktop version of 1Password, but the principle applies to 1Password for iOS too:

Change your passwords and make them stronger

You'll need to generate a new password and save it both in your login item in 1Password, and also update it on the site itself. Be sure to let me know if you have any questions about that! The best thing about 1Password is not having to remember or type all of your passwords, so they can be really secure.

But going back to the original issue, I'm of the same mind as Margeau I think. It sounds like you may have — probably by accident — entered your password into a non-password field, either just now, or previously you did and now the browser is saving it for autocomplete purposes.

However, it's impossible to say one way or the other without more information. Could you give me the URL where you encountered this, and walk me through the exact steps? If you're just at google.com doing a search, the box will always remember what you've entered there in the past unless you fiddle with your Google settings. So it isn't clear if it's the site or the browser that's saved and re-entering what was entered there before. Please let me know what you find!

• joema9010
    joema9010
    Community Member
    Options

Very grateful to both of you gentlemen for your much helpful advise and help.
    I am not sure if my level of technical knowledge would allow me to provide you with the information you may need to find more about the root of my problem, but I will try my best because I know that may help us all. It may take a day or two unti I am at my office to do this but I will give it a good college try. Again, thank you!

• Ben
    Options

Thanks for the update @joema9010 :+1: :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.